Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Based on what i have read in here?

if the vote is

yes, no or present

if i do not vote NO...then in your mind is that a yes vote?

....even if i vote present meaning i have no stance on this issue

if i'm not against it...then i must be for it?

based on what i've read in here...i can safely draw this conclusion correct?

Favorite Answer

LOL What people don't get is you can't vote 'present' in the US Senate. It's a tactic used in the Illinois Senate when you agree/disagree w/part of but not all of a bill.

Obama voted in the Illinois Senate over 4,000 times and 130 of those times he voted 'present'.

They don't care about the facts though. If they did they might care that McCain has the worst attendance record of anyone in the Senate. He's even missed more time than the Senator who had brain surgery this year.

Could go the other way. If what I'm looking for is a yes vote, and you vote present, I might feel that is effectively a no.

We Baby Boomers were steeped in the line "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem," and "If you are not for us, you are against us." There are times when it is legitimate to be neutral, but frankly, that can get you hassled from both sides. I believe the vote of "present" needs to be reserved for those times when a matter of conscience will not permit a vote of either yes or no. An example would be someone who is completely against a war, but recognizes that an appropriations bill can be critical to the safety and comfort of the troops. There are so many arguments for both sides that perhaps the only valid position is sitting on the fence.

Voting "present" is a tactical maneuver. I was taught in school it is a way to express displeasure with your party's actions while not voting No. Both parties use this vote, usually during election of House Speaker and Senate Leader. This way you won't lose committee assignments or chairmanships.

I suppose I should not be surprised most Americans were unaware of this until the anti-Obama forces began bringing up his "present" votes. Conservative Democrat Gene Taylor of Misssissippi has voted "present" many times.

What it means is that Obama has been careful his whole political career to tie himself to a clear point of view. He is more of a politician than he is a decision maker. He figures obviously it will lose him votes if he votes yes or no. It's sheer selfishness and laziness

I think it odd too that many if not all of his state senate records have mysteriously disappeared

in my mind yes or no....i think are pretty much you knew what you were voting for..present means you showed up didnt give a crap what was on the floor you were busy doing other things....

No...if you vote present, you can't make a commitment!

That is the Republican stance. And they're sticking to it.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Rush

Neil Peart

• MS S

I know you. and you are no brainiac.