asdf asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

I am not a racist person, but could someone please tell me why?

why do african americans, blacks, tip low when they dine out. Not everyone does, but more often than not, it seems to be the case. No matter how good of service I provide, sometime I dont even get 10 percent.... whats the deal?

Favorite Answer

Try not to take it personally. I see three potential reasons why this is prevalent.

1) The fact of the matter is, many blacks are in a very low income situation, or struggling in one way or another. Going out to eat is an opportunity to escape the realities of life, nevertheless departing with ones cash when you don't have much is hard to do.

2) For those that are financially able, they didn't get their by throwing their money away. So don't expect this to be any different. You may have earned your tip, but you will need to convince them of it.

3) Perception of service. They may not agree with your assessment of giving great service and you may want to evaluate if you are meeting their needs. All customers are not the same, might be worth a look. When I get my car washed, the attendant looks like he is working very hard, however he always does a poor job on my mirrors and misses the moon roof. I bet he thinks he should get a bigger tip as well.

When I dine out. I tip about 15-20 percent of the total bill. I know of black people who tip much less . This is not because they are cheap or don't have the money because none of that is true. They tip low because they are really evaluating your performance. One slip up and your tip goes down. Most of the time you don't even realize you've slipped up. I think it really stinks that you've assigned a racial pattern to low tips though. I'm sure you've come across people of other races that tip the same way.

Did you ever think that your assumption that because your customer is a black and won't tip well; could cause you to provide poor customer service thus ensuring that the black person won't give you a good tip?

We all know what you mean. And its not you being a racist. It is just a simple fact. Not all African American's tip bad, though. But somehow, it seems to happen that way. They are called Canoes in my restaurant. Something about the fact that they never 'tip' over. I don't remember how the whole thing goes. I don't understand it either, I wish we didn't have to have this approach, but its really not fair. A guy that is an African American we work with says its "because we think we are owed something, unless you are black, too." And laughs it off. <~~~(THIS DOES NOT REFLECT MY PERSONAL BELIEFS) Which sounds awful. Keep chuggin', my friend. Maybe one day this will change.

A study performed in 2003 by Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration researcher Michael Lynn confirms your fear is more reality than phobia.

The study reports many waiters and waitresses feel that blacks generally tip less than restaurant diners who are white. The study found that blacks tip, on average, 20 percent less than whites.

There is a very high occurrence of poor tipping by most blacks who dine out. I doubt this is an opinion you went in to the service industry holding; it’s a fact that terrifies you when you approach a table.

Well, some people (not just African Americans) don't see the point in tipping. They don't realize that server's get low wages and make most of their money from tips.

• do african americans as a whole earn as much as other groups ?

perhaps they tip a higher % of their income than other people do ...

Maybe your best just isn't good enough

I guess they're cheap.