My son wants to know if God is everywhere, is he in the toilet? What should I say?

The real question here is how to deal with smart kids and their kooky questions. My son is only eight years old. He's smart as a whip, but only able to grasp deeper concepts to a certain point. The Trinity, for instance.... how the heck do you explain that to a kid and get them to accept it?

How do you ease your kids over from a literal understanding of Christianity to a deeper understanding?

No, no... Insanity, he outgrew Santa at five.

And Warrior-Poo-Flinger.... it's that over-literal interpretation that breed atheism. I'm trying to keep my kid from growing up to be a Poo-Flinger! ^_^

.... it BREEDS atheism, I mean. Sorry, typo.

• Kel
    Favorite Answer

I think I used to be like that...

Tell him there are things about our faith that cannot be explained rationally..

There are things in our faith where our only choice is to make the "leap of faith" and save the questions for later..

I cannot even fully explain the Trinity to myself..

Tell him that the Church and God are not the same.. that the church has made mistakes, but still strives to serve its purpose the best it can..

The earlier he realizes that, the less likely he will grow up to be sarcastic and miserable like me..

God is everywhere is the dictum we have been taught since childhood.Let me say that God is in mind.If you believe then there is God and if you do not then there isn't one.Where these thoughts come from is the place called mind.If you have no mind will there be God? Sometimes we turn atheist so does it mean that the earlier mind space occupied by God is now empty? It is not because we put all our energies in fighting that entity as non entity. So the mind space is still taken up by this God. If not positively then negatively at least!

KB 87 Prayers by the Personified Vedas

In the material nature, both the Supreme Lord and the living entities enter. The Supreme Lord Krsna, by one of His plenary expansions, manifests as Ksirodakasayi Visnu and the Maha-Visnu, the gigantic Visnu form lying in the Causal Ocean. Then from that gigantic form of the Maha-Visnu, the Garbhodakasayi Visnu expands in every universe. From Him, Brahma, Visnu and Siva expand. Visnu enters into the hearts of all living entities, as well as into all material elements, including the atom. The Brahma-samhita says: andantarastha-paramanu-cayantarastham: He is within this universe and also within every atom.

Madhya 4.133 Sri Madhavendra Puri' s Devotional Service

Mundane rascals cannot understand that whatever Krsna does, being absolute in nature, is all good. This quality of the Lord is explained in Srimad-Bhagavatam (10.33.29). One may consider certain acts of a supremely powerful person to be immoral by mundane calculations, but this is not actually the case. For example, the sun absorbs water from the surface of the earth, but it does not absorb water only from the sea. It also absorbs water from filthy sewers and ditches containing urine and other impure substances. The sun is not polluted by absorbing such water. Rather, the sun makes the filthy place pure. If a devotee approaches the Supreme Personality of Godhead for an immoral or improper purpose, he nonetheless becomes purified; the Lord does not become infected. In Srimad-Bhagavatam (10.29.15) it is stated that if one approaches the Supreme Lord even out of lust, anger or fear (kamam krodham bhayam), he is purified.

Source(s): Author: His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada Srimad-Bhagavatam Bhagavad-gita As It Is Life Comes from Life The Science of Self Realization Sri Caitanya-caritamrta

Yes, kids can come up with some show stoppers (LOL).

Did you know that, in reality, God is a smoke alarm?

My 4 yr old (when he was 3), was intrigued by the green flickering light on the ceiling and his mom told him that it was a smoke alarm and that it us when there is danger.

Sure enough a few months later, she also taught him that God protects us from danger. So, in his innocent 3 year old mind, he put 2 and 2 together and concluded that that God is a smoke alarm!

by not thinking about it and just modeling your faith. take his questions seriously and recognize that until he is in high school, the non-literal will be very difficult to grasp. Probably won't until he is an adult. so show him how important your faith is to you, answer his questions honestly and don't try to get him to understand the Trinity or Transubstantiation. Heck, those are Mysteries anyway, we can't fully understand them.

Oh and if that is his question, maybe God is everywhere isn't the best way to put it. Maybe, where ever you are or wherever you need God to be, at home, or at school or at a friends, He will be there. He isn't just in the Church building.

If your son is able to grasp deeper concepts as you say he does then he will see, if he studies the bible and not the catechism, that the "trinity" is a false doctrine. If you cant understand it how can you explain it? The bible tells us God's word is not confusing but mans word is. I was where you are now and praise God His word prevailed and my now grown chrildren know the truth.

Just because God is all-present does not mean he stands in poo. What makes one think that you must be in the toilet to know what is going on in there, or in the bathroom?

Furthermore, the Trinity can be explained like H2O - Ice, Liquid Water, and Steam are three separate forms of the same composition (entity).

Finally, ask him how he thinks it can work so that his mind learns to "think" and "comprehend" God's awesome Creation rather than learning to reject what he can not "perceive" or "comprehend" about his stay in the Creation.

• STAX

Jesus spoke about God’s dwelling place when he said to his disciples: “In the house of my father there are many abodes. . . . I am going my way to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:2) Where did Jesus go? Eventually, he “entered . . . into heaven itself, now to appear before the person of God for us.” (Hebrews 9:24) This account teaches us two important facts about Jehovah God. First, he has a literal place of dwelling, and second, he is a person, not simply an indefinable force that resides everywhere.

That is why Jesus taught his followers to pray this way: “Our Father in the heavens,” directing their prayers to a person, God, who is in a place, namely, the spiritual heavens. (Matthew 6:9; 12:50)

Like a father’s hand extending down to console and support his children, God’s hand—or holy spirit—can extend to any part of the spiritual realm or the physical universe to accomplish God’s purpose. So, the psalmist could say: “Were I to take the wings of the dawn, that I might reside there in the most remote sea, there, also, your own hand would lead me and your right hand would lay hold of me.”—Psalm 139:9, 10.

Tell him that he is god. Tell him that his thoughts and actions will alter his stance in the universe. Tell him that he is his own ruler and should decide for himself what is best to do in every situation...even when choosing a doctrine to follow or deity to worship. Please don't cram christianity down his throat. Give him books on buddhism, judaism, evolution, satanism, paganism...don't make his knowledge one sided. After all: A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

If I were you, I'd get ready for the day he tells you he's an atheist. I remember thinking these same thoughts when I was about 5 or 6, and by the time I was 12, I thought god was pure nonsense.