Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicJokes & Riddles · 1 decade ago

Consider this in the English language?

The English Language: Have you ever wondered why foreigners have trouble with the English Language?. Let's face it. English is a crazy language. There is no egg in the eggplant, no ham in the hamburger, and neither pine nor apple in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England. French fries were not invented in France. We sometimes take English for granted, but if we examine its paradoxes we find that Quicksand takes you down slowly, Boxing rings are square. And a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. If writers write, how come fingers don't fing. If the plural of tooth is teeth. Shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth, If the teacher taught, Why didn't the preacher praught. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what the does a humanitarian eat? Why do people recite at a play, yet play at a recital; Park on driveways and Drive on parkways? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language where a house can burn up as it burns down; And in which you fill in a form by filling it out. And a bell is only heard once it goes! English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (Which of course isn't a race at all) That is why when the stars are out they are visible, but when the lights are out they are invisible, and why it is that when I wind up my watch it starts, but when I wind up this observation, it ends.

please star this, i want more people to read it

Best Answer

its not original, I read it all last week.......lol

• Rosa

Many African countries teach English or French as a second language because Britian colonized certain countries in Africa and France colonized other countries in Africa. Mandarin is the most spoken language, but in China mostly, and because China has such a large population. Mandarin is not the most spoken language throughout the world, though. English seems to have just become an accepted language. I believe it is due to British colonization throughout the world and because the United Nation's headquearters is based in New York. By the way, English is not a dull language. If you don't like English, then speak something else!

When people say "I could care less", they mean "I couldn't care less".

We hear of people coming from "up north" or "down south", but never "left west" or "right east"

"Slim chance" and "fat chance" mean the same.

A plural form of "brother" is "brethren" -- but the plural of "mother" is never "methren".

Heartburn does nothing to the heart at all.

I should never have traced your source, http://www.rateitall.com/t-2733-funny-things-about... now I'm going to go blow my head off.

Source(s): Found this one on google, thought you might like it: The buck does funny things when the does are present.
  • Buck

The English language was deliberately made difficult to keep bloody foreigners from learning it.

I hope more foreigners do read your question. I may discourage them from coming here and contaminating our language with theirs.

Source(s): Mr. Facetious

That's why It's the most difficult language to learn.

yet another star for this

how about i get 10 points now

• Hey! I've already read this.....I got this as comprehension in my English paper when I was in 8th std......

a star for u.....*

:)

i was going to start it anyways :)

sounds like an epic poem xD

• thats why i call english and ENGLI-FISH

Source(s): ***smile wins hearts***

haha

liked it