What was the name of the church in a Kurt Vonnegut book (I think it's Slapstick) that believed that Jesus...?

...had already risen and was hiding from them, so everywhere they went they were always looking around trying to "find" Jesus?

"come back" not "risen"

• Ribbit
    Favorite Answer

I think you mean the "Church of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped" -- from Slapstick.

EDIT: Fine, I'll elaborate. In Slapstick, the believers of the Church of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped think that Jesus has been kidnapped by the "Forces of Evil" and that if they don't do everything they can do to find him in time mankind will be destroyed. They're constantly searching for Him, peeking under dinner plates, checking behind doors, etc. As TheVet pointed out, there is something in Cat's Cradle about finding Jesus, but it sounds to me that what you have in mind is Slapstick.

• TheVet

In Sirens of Titan there is The Church of God the Utterly Indifferent. It features several events where people are waiting to see Niles Rumfoord manifest, who in that novel has become a kind of God. I can't remember if people called him Jesus, though.

The only book off hand I can think of that has direct mention of people trying to find Jesus, or someone similar is Cat's Cradle - but it's not in the same vein you are explaining.

Admittedly, all I can remember about Slapstick right now is the middle names and the childhood stories. 'Ribbit' is probably correct, though I don't remember people looking for Jesus in it - I guess I'll have to brush up on my Vonnegut. :)

I think it was the Mormons.

TOP CONTRIBUTOR FIGHT!!!!!