Tyler J asked in SportsGolf · 1 decade ago

What clubs should I add to my bag?

Firstly, I am a 14 year old 17 handicapper.

Currently I have: driver; 3 hybrid; 4 hybrid; 5-9 irons; PW; SW; 60 degree wedge; and putter.

That makes 12 clubs - what should I add to my bag? Fairway wood/s? Wedge/s? Hybrid/s?

oops make that a 27 handicap! sorry!

Favorite Answer

Matt you have everything covered except the fairway woods and you should put a 3 wood and 5 wood into your bag giving you a well balanced set. To continue to improve your handicap will require you to develop a balanced game. You will have to learn to hit all of these clubs so get them and use them. Good luck Matt you're on your way.

• tcmae

All you just need is fairway woods, get a 3 wood and a 5 wood, at least a 3 wood. You will need those clubs, especially a 3W, they are important, and it can make a big diffrence in your game. Trust me. But get both a 3 and 5 if you could, there the basic clubs you can have in a bag, don't get something else like that like a 2, 4, or 7 wood, you don't need those. Only a 3 and a 5.

Sounds like you've got it covered for now. Fairway woods (3 and 5 wood) can be very difficult for beginners to use, and can end up getting you in more trouble than good. The hybrids are a great start. It may be a good idea to get a 2-iron hybrid or rescue club. Just to have a bit more distance to work with after the driver. Careful with the 60 degree wedge, too, until you've practiced with it a lot. These can be tricky for beginners too.

Source(s): 13 handicap
  • mbl

I assume you have a huge gap between driver and 3 hybrid. Most players would have a 3 wood and 2 hybrid as well. But your focus would be better served eleswhere when it comes to improving. We have 5 club tourneys all the time where I work and the scores are almost the same across the board.

I would suggest fairway woods probably a 3 wood and a 5 wood.

• Titan

How about a five hybrid. I think you have a long gap between 4 hybrid and 5 iron, won't you say?

Take 3 clubs out of your bag..in rotation with each succeeding round...find out the ones you LIKE to hit..then you can make a more informed choice yourself...Try to get to a stage where you can say when you pull a club...' I really am confident with this club'..The less choice of clubs you have the less you will be in a turmoil..about 'how to hit' ....'is it the right club'...It will help clear your mind......I wish I was 14 and could start over with no bad habits!!! Have a good round !!!

5 Wood.

try a 3 wood.... as you get older it is the go to club off the tee on tighter courses.... also the new ported wedges are unreal for spinning the ball...

Go spend an arvo workin out your yardages and see where the gap is regarding how far your flyin the ball.