What insects are these? Is there another name for them?

I have a Cutter mosquito repellent and it says it repels No-See-Ums and Chiggers. What are they?

3 Answers

  • paul
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    here is a chigger, yes that is a finger.


    read what was written below the picture.

    This is a no-see-ums.


    Note; no-see-ums is a name given to a variety of insects that are so small you can not easily see them. They all bite and the name is very regional. It is applied to the same insect over each area but can be a different insect in another area. I think it is better to use the name generically. Its is a no-see-um type insect.

  • 1 decade ago

    NO-SEE-UMS:Ceratopogonidae, or biting midges (or, in the United States, no-see-ums, sand flies, punkies, and others), are a family of small flies (1-4 mm long) in the order Diptera. They are closely related to the Chironomidae, Simuliidae, and Thaumaleidae. They are found in almost any aquatic or semiaquatic habitat throughout the world.

    CHIGGERS: Any of various small, six-legged larvae of mites of the family Trombiculidae, parasitic on insects, humans, and other vertebrates. The chigger's bite produces a wheal that is usually accompanied by severe itching. Also called chigoe, harvest bug; Also called harvest mite, jigger; Also called red bug.

    Source(s): www.answers.com
  • 1 decade ago

    'No-see-ums' are small black midges (picture here: http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/aquatic/Biting_midge...

    The Chigger is quite a bit larger and is usually an insect that crawls up your pant leg from the ground (attaching to your sock or shoe as you walk by)... they look like this: http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/1644...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.