How can I change my last name AFTER I've gotten married?

When signing my marriage license, i didn't change my last name to my husband's.

Now i want to.

Where do you go to do that? Do I go to the same place where I signed my marriage license?

I heard that you can go to City Hall but I wanna make sure first.

Favorite Answer

If you're in the US, you have a certain amount of time to do it for free. I think it's like one year. To change it, you just have to take your marriage license and your driver's license to the Social Security office in your state capitol and apply for a new SS card with his last name on it. They will give you a temporary card that you can then take to the DMV and get a new license also. After you have done these two things, your name is legally changed.

Note that this procedure only works after a marriage.

• Karma

You change it the same way you would have BEFORE you got married. Go to City Hall.

the marriage license doesnt change you name you have to go down to your local social security office and change it there. then you have to go to all your local important companies and change it through them. However the government is more important do that first.

• smiley

my mom changed hers after marriage- she went to the DMV and city hall and paid the fees to change it. Check your state/city government's website and check ' name change'

i think u have to go to your local social security office. thats where i went after i got married.