Yu-Gi-Oh: D.D. Survivor face-down?

After reading D.D. Survivor's effect, I came to the conclusion that it would still activate even if he was destroyed by a monster while in face-down defense. This is because he has to be flipped face up in order to calculate damage, so technically he is face-up when he is destroyed.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Is it correct?

D.D. Survivor

[When this card is removed from play while face-up on your side of the field, you Special Summon it during the End Phase.]

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/D.D._Survivor

So I'm sitting here getting ready to select the best answer..... I'd like to say a few things before I do though.

First of all, half of you need to get your facts straight. I asked for your "opinion", and if you check my profile you see that I post a lot of these questions up. I know the answers to some, others (like this one), I don't. I supply the information, you supply a valid answer. Simple.

At Hacker: I did read the text thoroughly. I have a remove-from-play deck, so basically being "Destroyed" means it's out of the game. Period.

For the other half of you, thank you kindly for answering my question to the best of your knowledge =)

• Jake
    Favorite Answer

Okay, first of all, all the above answerers are complete idiots! Seriously, have they played the game? No, you are completely wrong. Although the Yugioh TCG has some technical text on some of there cards, this is taking it way too far!

I see that you think that D.D. Survivor comes back because of its effect, but you forgot to examine the fact that the card does not have the word 'FLIP:' at the beginning of the card's effect, and you have also misinterpreted the words 'while face-up on your side of the field'.

In the Yugioh TCG, 'face-up on the field' in this case means that the card was face-up during the whole process of the attack on it. That includes being declared as an attack target, attacking the target, damage calculation, and then resolving the effects of the battle. The word 'FLIP:' means its effect is taken into effect before damage calculation.

Since D.D. Survivor does not have a Flip-Effect, its effect DOES NOT activate. Also, since D.D. Survivor was/is not face-up for the whole attack process, its effect STILL DOES NOT activate during the End Phase if it was removed from play.

Trust me, this type of question is common, just another just thinking clearly and taking things a bit TOO LITERALLY. I am a Level 2 Judge after all. I have to know this stuff. Also, just ask any Expert player (or myself) the same question, and you will get the same answer.

Source(s): Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG - 7 Years Experience Deck Analyst / Deck Tester / Rules Expert / Level 2 Judge

During the Battle Phase when your face-down card with an effect is attacked and flipped face up to begin damage calculation, the only card effects that will take place are the opponent's Monster card that is attacking if it has an effect that activates during a Battle Phase or a Flip Effect (the Monster that is being attacked).

Since D.D. Survivor's effect is not a Flip Effect, his effect will not activate. Therefor he will not be brought back.

And if you bothered to read the card's effect thoroughly, you will notice that it says when this card is removed from play, not when he is sent to the Graveyard. In order for D.D. Survivor's effect to occur, he will need to be removed from play, not sent to the Graveyard.

thats the way I play. if it says that it has to be flipped or face up and it is flipped when attacked then the effect takes place..

Yep, you are correct :D

You might ask why there is such specific text, but it really works that way.

not to say that your wrong, but you are, why would they put the specific saying that "if it is face up" if it doesnt even matter...BUT THAT DONT MATTER REMOVED FROM PLAY MEANS IT CANNOT BE PLAYED NO MORE NOT JUST KILLED, ITS LIKE IF THE OPPONENT SACRAFISES IT,!!! I JUST REMEMBERD

EH you are right man.

google it