HDMI or VGA for Macbook?

I am going to be buying cables for my Macbook to connect to my 19'' tv. I would like to know if I should buy the HDMI or VGA. They are both around the same price so I would say HDMI, but if the HDMI doesn't provide very much difference in quality from the VGA then I would get the VGA because I can use it on other monitors too. So is the HDMI picture good enough to get it?

Favorite Answer

HDMI is an improvement to video quality. HDMI is a digital signal, VGA is an analog signal. You get a clearer picture, even at the same resolutions, with HDMI.

The macBook doesn't have HDMI connectors. It has a mini-DVI that can be converted with a $20 adapter to either full size DVI-D or VGA or s-video/composite. From the DVI-D on the adapter you could then get a DVI-D to HDMI cable to connect to the TV. If you're going to put the time and energy into adapting the output it's worth it to go with the digital signal (way better picture quality, this way your only limitation is what the TV can display, rather than what a limited VGA signal can send). Also since most of todays monitors have DVI inputs for digital signal the DVI adapter is a much better choice (better to be compatible with current tech rather than outdated right?).

Source(s): 25 years as a Mac Tech