Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

What's worse for my laptop? Repeatedly turning it on or off (two or three times), or leaving it on all day?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and I want to keep battery power and overall performance (Mostly speed) as high as possible for as long as I can. I usually take out the battery when I'm at home, but I was wondering if leaving the laptop plugged in, and on is better or worse than repeatedly turning it on or off. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

If it's not getting hot, it's best to leave it on and only shut it down when necessary. Power cycling and dramatic temperature changes are hard on the hardware.

Turning it on and off - leaving it on is less stressful on the computer. Leaving it plugged in all the time can wear out the battery - I let it run down the battery a coule of times each month. I've had mine of for over a year!

neither is bad, but turning it on and off wastes more battery. i leave my laptop on 24/7. nothing goes wrong with it. just let it sleep till you need it again. leaving it on won't hurt it and uses less batteries than turning it on and off over and over again.

Source(s): 3 years with my laptop :D

The answer: neither. If you are concerned about making your battery last long, make sure you let it run down before recharging, and let it recharge fully.

leaving it on all day. what my mom does is she puts it on sleep when shes done and then later on it will turn back on in less than a minute to use it again