Experience with Tretinoin Cream?

has anyone used it before? i have been using tretinoin cream .025% for about one month prescribed by my doctor to help my acne. my acne is only on my forehead, so i've been putting it there every night. i might have been using too much. my skin is peeling A LOT and its redder and my acne has only gotten a lot worse. do i stop using it a while and then put on less each night, or is this what's suppose to happen, get worse before it gets better? HELP!

Favorite Answer

Make sure that you are not using any other products with active (salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur etc) ingredients unless prescribed by your doctor because they can cause dryness when used with tretinoins. Personally I like Dove bar soap and Clinique's Dramatically Different Gel b/c they're both nonactive products. Only use a pea sized amount of the product, once it's been put on your skin you shouldn't feel it. If it burns when you put it on, you may want to wait 10 or 15 mins after washing your face to apply it. Until your skin builds up a tolerance to it you might consider using it every other or every third day. Make sure that you are putting on sunscreen every day b/c retins make you more sensitive to sun and that could cause peeling. Finally, don't give up! It can take 8-12 weeks before your skin stops purging, if it's really bad go see you doctor again they can prescribe an antibiotic -topical or oral- to help speed up the process. It's so worth it though, I've been using Retin-A for years now and get tons of compliments on my skin.

The girl above me is right.

This is my 2nd week on this treatment.

Every Morning and Night, I wash my face with Dove Bar Soap for Sensitive Skin. Then in the Morning, I apply the Tretinoin Cream 0.05% all over my face. At Night, I apply Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% all over my face. My Skin is clearing up but its really dry and itches sometimes. My Dermatologist told me that this is going to be happening. So Skip a day with all those procedures and just wash your face. If I were you, I would continue to use it. Like I said, if it starts to peel bad, then skip a day.

Good Luck! =)

Source(s): Personal Experience. =)