Is it true that Mormons teach the Lord was once a normal man like we are, and eventually achieved Godhood?

I've heard from a few sources that it was, but they were all non-mormon sources, so I would like to hear from an actual mormon whether or not this is true. I have many friends that are mormon, and I am just seeking to understand them better. Please don't see this as me trying to insult the mormon faith in any way.

Thanks. :)

Favorite Answer

The idea that "God was once a man" is not well established in Mormonism. Mormons, like many other Christian denominations (specifically the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic branches of Christianity), do believe in "theosis," the idea that man can progress to become more like God. Historically, this concept (which was had among the earliest Christians) has led some Mormons to speculate that if Man can become like God, perhaps God was once a man.

While this idea is interesting, it is not well-established in Mormon theology. I would classify it as "a theological question," not an official "Mormon doctrine." Gordon B. Hinckley, a recent president of the LDS Church, was asked this very question on several occasions. Here are some of his responses (verbatim or reported):

"There was a little couplet coined, 'As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.' Now that's more of a couplet than anything else. That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don't know very much about...Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly. We believe that the glory of God is intelligence and whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the Resurrection."

"President Gordon Hinckley says the concept of God having been a man is not stressed any longer, but he does believe that human beings can become [more like God] in the afterlife."

"On whether his church still holds that God the Father was once a man, he sounded uncertain. ‘I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it...I understand the philosophical background behind it, but I don't know a lot about it, and I don't think others know a lot about it."

That having been said, I'm sure you can find Mormons who do believe God was once a man. I personally am skeptical. It's not something that is often spoken of in Church; I think I've only heard the concept mentioned a few times in Church during the entire 27 years I've been a member.

To hear two Mormon theologians with differing opinions debate this topic, visit http://mormonmisc.podbean.com/2007/08/27/theology-...

No insult at all either but where in the world is it taught that God was once a man? I John 4:12 again, im not trying to cause any trouble. :)

since their God has flesh and blood, he was once a sinner and evolved from a man into a god. ex-mormon, was a mormon for 36 years.

In the holyday achieved Godhood, others day such human being.

u may request the schedule from them.

Yes this is a teaching of the Mormon church.

No, it's a horrid misunderstanding of something Lorenzo Snow said.

"As man is God once was, as God is man may become"

It's referring to Jesus coming to Earth, dying, being resurrected, and ascending to Heaven.

"As man is" = Physical on Earth

"God once was" = Jesus was once physical on Earth (Jesus is a member of the Godhead)

"As God is" = Jesus being resurrected and in Heaven with a glorified body

"Man may become" = at the end, we will be resurrected and have glorified bodies just like Jesus.

Bonus gave you an excellent answer.

I think it comes from, besides that statement from President Snow, that we believe we can become like God. So if WE can become like OUR God, maybe HE became like HIS God?

Source(s): Eternally LDS

Yes believe they can become like God and become god and goddess of her own Planet

Source(s): former mormon now christian

Yes it is true.

Mormons refer to themselves as Christians.

Here is a Christian Resource:

http://www.carm.org/lds/lds_doctrines.htm