Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How can people "know" that 1 plus 1 equals 2 but only "believe" in the existence of God?

to rephase...how far away is one away from "knowing" God exists if they only say they "believe" he does?

Favorite Answer

Also have you notice religious freak make no sense when they try to make you understand their reasoning >.>

As u can see their belief system allows them to be selectively ignorant...

People only believe what they can see. Religion has become something that is passed down like a family recipe. The true practicality of spirituality is often overlooked. For instance people are too focused on the differences of religion than on the similarities. In the similarities there is truth. God is unconceivable to the minds of men. It is frustrating to try and understand the inconceivable. Some of us can see things as simple as 1 +1 = 2 but that is only for the enlightened.

The symbol '1' describes an abstract thought the world's poulation has agreed to for centuries.

There are huge numbers the world over that don't share the same 'abstract' thoughts on why/how we got here.

I'm not sure but I guess someone could argue that 1+1 does not equal two but that would seem as difficult to comprehend as believing a single male would create a whole world and beings to occupy it, all w/o any reason what-so-ever.

Dear Friend,

In the Spiritual realm, 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 or 3 = 1. Why? Because, God, the Father (Jehovah); God, the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit (Power) There are three Persons in the Trinity and they equal One God. And Jesus Christ is the only God that is... ALIVE! Hallelujah to the Lamb of God.

we don't know that 1 + 1 equals too. But since our ancestors came up with it we'll go along with it. We won't question it, so we'll accept it. It's not like religion which is a bit more controversial. You don't necessarily hear of a lot of people questioning 1 + 1 = 2 theory. But religion is a different story because it's so different for different religions. I'm an athiest but i don't question whether a person believes in god or not. I mean what's it to me? i don't care if you believe in god or not. I don't care about you. I care about me. Besides it's the 21st century it's ALL about GENERATION ME.

I'm pretty sure us non-math-genius types are taught that so we know how to change a five dollar bill, but mathematicians see whole worlds of possibilities in what we comprehend in a simplistic way. I envy them that.

And 1+1 doesn't always equal 2. In a binary system 1+1 = 10.

I'm not a mathematician but I can count in other bases.

Numbers are abstract representations of reality. We know that <apple> put with <apple> makes <apple><apple>, but we abstract this into 1+1=2. It is important to understand that the numbers are not what makes the addition of apples, but apples. So we use numbers as a convenient representation, but really they are meaningless in themselves. Numbers only have meaning when applied to reality.

Belief in god is the opposite... belief is only possible when there is no proof. You don't go around believing in shoes because you know they are absolutely there, you don't go around believing in cheese because you've seen it and know it is there. However, people believe in aliens precisely because they DON'T know if they are there. The fact that people BELIEVE in god PROVES that it is impossible to KNOW that there is a god.

Source(s): * no religious belief implied

My school teacher says that 1+1 = 2 but my sex teacher says 1+1 = 1. Both is right.

So I see no reason why God cannot be true. You are right and they are right. There can be no wrong .

people believe what they want and thats good. nobody can tell someone that their religion or what they believe in is wrong. I think people created god out of ignorance and as a way to control people not the other way around. ex- give me half your gold and i will tell the gods not to send plague. how did they think lightening came 3000 years ago? there is no right or wrong religion as long as people are good and happy with their views

Because one plus one equals two is self evidently true; If not see "Principia Mathematica". While the existence of God is no more likely than the existence of fairies.

• Tisk Tisk we know what we know and believe what we want. I don't believe in the existence of any entity for me seeing is knowing. Please read http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/thomas_...

OR.... Let me tell give you some inside information about God. God likes to watch......He's a prankster. Think about it! His gives man... INSTINCTS!! He gives you this extraordinary gift and then what does he do? I swear for his own amusement, his own private, cosmic GAG REEL!! He sets the rules in opposition. This is the goof of all time. LOOK, but don't touch... TOUCH, but don't taste... TASTE don't swallow Ah-ha-ha! And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, what is he doing??? He's laughing his sick F%C*ING AS* OFF!! HE'S A TIGHT A*S!! HE'S A SADIST!!! HE'S AN ABSENTEE LANDLORD!! WORSHIP THAT.... NEVER!!"

Source(s): movie...devils advocate!