Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

How often should you take your pet rat to the vet for a checkup ? ?

I have two male rats and i have to take them to the vet to get a check up done to see if they are healthy to be de-sexed. But i was just wondering how often do you need to take them back to the vet.

Thanks everyone

10 Answers

Relevance
  • B!nd!
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anaesthetising any animal always carries a risk- no matter what the species. Small animals have more of a likelihood of dying on the operating table, but it really doesnt occur often.

With males there is less of a risk because its a pretty simple procedure- but I would definately recommend getting females desexed because it severley decreases their risk of developing cancer in the future.

It is good to take your rat to the vets for a checkup about once a year, but its not really necessary. You should get your rats checked out by your vet before any surgery, though.

If you look out for the signs and symptoms of things that can go wrong (and with rats- this is very likely) and notice that there is something wrong with your rat- excessive sneezing, porphyrin around nose and eyes, lethargic, tumors, etc you should take it to the vet straight away.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Rats do sneeze probably more often then other animals though usually this sneezing relates to other things other things, for instance they are sensitive to dusty environments. Some types of beading can make them sneeze. Rats that are stressed may start sneezing also. A young rat in a new environment may feel a little stressed and start sneezing as a reaction to the stress. A rat with a respiratory infection will sneeze a lot. There may be a reddish discharge around its nose, though sometimes this is not always the case. It may also sound like its having difficulty breathing or there may be a rattling sound when it breaths. Usually it is fairly obvious if it has an infection. While it is not impossible for such a young rat to have a respiratory infection, it is usually something that effects older rats get. I would just keep an eye on it for now if it get’s worse take it to the vets

• 1 decade ago

If you take proper care of your rats, the only time they should need to see a vet is for an illness or emergency. Do some research so you can spot the symptoms of common illnesses, if you start to see any, that would be a good time. Some websites that would aide in your research are: www.ratfanclub.org, www.ratguide.com

Source(s): Owned by 6 rats (currently) w/babies on the way, Vet Tech in training
  • 1 decade ago

Once a Year unless something is wrong.Be sure your Vet knows all about Rats.I had a Rat neutered and the Vet gave him to much anesthetic and he died on the operating table.I know they should be fixed but talk to the Vet.good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've had my two male rats for a few months, and they haven't needed a check-up. I may need to take one soon, because Scratchy has been overgrooming Itchy, leaving a small bald patch.

That's unimportant to the question though. About once a year, I would say. And males don't need to be desexed unless they're causing real problems - rubbing angrily against things, marking their scent EVERYWHERE.

• 1 decade ago

i guess if your really worried about your rats about once a year BUT i wouldn't get rats fixed, unless your planning on getting females... i think that getting your rats fixed is a waste of time and money since they don't live very long i don't see why you should put your rat though the stress of going into surgery!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're rats... so never? You can buy new ones at the pet store for $10. Why waste $100 for a checkup?

• 1 decade ago

At the first sign of sickness

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

about once a year

• 1 decade ago

if they get really sick, get a snake it will know what to do!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.