Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

Where can I find the alternate versions of the mona lisa?

I heard there were more versions of the mona lisa under the well-known one. Where can i find pictures of these? Are there pictures?

Favorite Answer

I think you are referring to the speculation that copies were made after it was stolen on August 21, 1911. The Louvre was closed for an entire week to aid in investigation of the theft.French poet Guillaume Apollinaire, who had once called for the Louvre to be "burnt down," came under suspicion; he was arrested and put in jail. Apollinaire tried to implicate his friend Pablo Picasso, who was also brought in for questioning, but both were later exonerated.

At the time, the painting was believed to be lost forever, and it would be two years before the real thief was discovered. Louvre employee Vincenzo Peruggia stole it by entering the building during regular hours, hiding in a broom closet and walking out with it hidden under his coat after the museum had closed. Peruggia was an Italian patriot who believed Leonardo's painting should be returned to Italy for display in an Italian museum. Peruggia may have also been motivated by a friend who sold copies of the painting, which would skyrocket in value after the theft of the original. After having kept the painting in his apartment for two years, Peruggia grew impatient and was finally caught when he attempted to sell it to the directors of the Uffizi Gallery in Florence; it was exhibited all over Italy and returned to the Louvre in 1913. Peruggia was hailed for his patriotism in Italy and only served a few months in jail for the crime.

Because of the painting's overwhelming stature, Dadaists and Surrealists often produce modifications and caricatures. In 1919, Marcel Duchamp, one of the most influential Dadaists, created L.H.O.O.Q., a Mona Lisa parody made by adorning a cheap reproduction with a mustache and a goatee, as well as adding the rude inscription, when read out loud in French sounds like "Elle a chaud au cul" (literally translated - "she has a hot ***". This is a manner of implying the woman in the painting is in a state of sexual excitement and availability). This was intended as a Freudian joke, referring to Leonardo's alleged homosexuality. According to Rhonda R. Shearer, the apparent reproduction is in fact a copy partly modeled on Duchamp's own face. Salvador Dalí, famous for his pioneering surrealist work, painted Self portrait as Mona Lisa in 1954.

In 1963 Andy Warhol created serigraph prints of the Mona Lisa, in an effort to reduce her gravity to that of a disposable modern icon; to a similar cultural stature of the modern celebrities Marilyn Monroe or Elvis Presley. A later reproduction of the Mona Lisa was discovered painted onto a hillside near Newport, Oregon on August 15, 2006. It was created by artist Samuel Clemens using a tarp stencil and water-based paint. The painting has also been parodied by street artists such as Banksy, Anthony Lister and Dolk.

I think young Mona Lisa is thinking that this is getting very boring just sitting there and surely there must be a more exciting way to earn a few pennies. I doubt she realized how famous she would one day become throughout the centuries!

at the risk of sounding arrogant, I've never heard of this at all. I know Botticelli painted over one of his paintings (Ruth carrying the head of Holofernes) but I didn't hear anything about Da Vinci doing that.

the answer below my answer is the best and he'd better get the 10 points!