Can a landlady even do this?

I live in a pretty strict apartment complex where they will give you a citation for even the smallest lease violation. The landlady is very stern about everything and a real stickler for the rules.

My family lives out of state and they wants to come visit for 5 days in October, which sounds great to me. I have a 2 bedroom apartment, one of the rooms which is unoccupied, so I thought "Great, they can stay here and we'll catch up."

But knowing how my landlady is, I thought it best to run the idea by her first, because she will question anyone she doesn't know on the premises. Well, she pulled out a copy of my lease and showed me a section that basically says any guest staying for more than 3 nights has to have a background check done on them. I thought "Okay...", but then she informed me that background checks are $50 a pop. I almost asked if she was kidding me...

I didn't have time to discuss it then because I had to go to work, and told her I would meet with her on Monday (tomorrow). But is she on drugs or WHAT? I have my parents and my brother coming to see me...at 3 people, that makes $150 for background checks on all of them.

Is she seriously expecting me to pay $150 to have my family visit me at my apartment for 5 days? This is insane. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Favorite Answer

Well I don't know if she can do this or not but...according to what you said, the lease says that they must have a background check, it says nothing about you having to pay for it. She wants the check not you, so I think that she should pay for it if she wants it. If that's not what she had in mind...she should make things clearer in the lease next time!

• Izzy

First, you're right, that's slightly ridiculous. She does sound like quite the stickler. Second, since it's stated in the lease, it's completely O.K. for her to do that.

Since her limit without a background check is 3 nights, and your relatives will be staying 4 nights (I'm assuming you mean 5 days, 4 nights they're staying) perhaps either shorten the visit or have them spend their first or last night at a hotel?

Depending on where you are, you should be able to find a room for one night for much less than $150. That way, even though you'll still have to spend money, you will save a little.

The landlady has lost her mind. But since you signed the lease she ca do that. If only your family is staying longer than 5 days. Let your family stay for 3 days than have them get a hotel room. If it was me I would let them stay at a hotel to avoid the crazy lady. Who knows she might come up with an excuse to evict you? I seem it happened..

I haven't, but since it's in the lease, there ya go.

And yes, $50 is pretty standard for a background check.

You might consider having them visit for three nights, then go to a hotel for the final two days. It'll probably cost less.

• Qextor

If it is in your lease, it needs to be complied with.

Check out how much a hotel room or other accomodation would cost. Chances are, $150 for background checks will be the lesser of the two bills.

Sounds like she was trained in nazi germany. ok 3 ideas on this.

1 say they left after day 2 then came back resetting counter to zero.

2 agrement probably doesn't name specific company or price to do check so write your own and give it to landlady after all who knows your family better than you and to suggest otherwise is foolish.

3 This could be illegal either sedition, blackkmail or coersion as you are being denied the right of family associations until a fee is paid.

I am not too sure. You did sign a paper stating this, but she DOES NOT have the authority to tell you who needs a background check and who doesn't, and if the lease doesn't say that you have to pay, then I would take this matter to the local police department and get there take on the matter, and take a copy of the lease. Good Luck!

I would just put the family in a hotel to avoid this crazy woman altogether. Sounds like she has a couple of marbles loose.

But yes, for the REAL PICKY, it is in the lease and can be enforced.

wow. that really sucks! but if you're signature is on the lease, then it is assumed you knew the rules beforehand. i think the contract upholds her crazy rules, and because you signed the contract, you now have to oblige to her rules.

what are the consequences for not obeying? if they're not that serious, perhaps you should consider breaking the rules a bit.

She can't do a background check without their permission. To the best of my knowledge, that is illegal. As for them staying, that is your business. I wouldn't even tell your landlady when they get there. It isn't her business, as long as they aren't actually moving in, it shouldn't be a problem.