Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

Why does my 4 year old complain of being hungry every couple of hours, even though she eats 3 squares a day?

She's always wanting , cereal, popcorn, pudding, mac& cheese etc.

I don't want her to develop poor eating habits but I don't want her to go hungry either. Her mother and I are heavy-set. I don;t want her to get fat. How can I handle this?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When she asks for food, ask her if she's hungry. If she says no, then tell her to wait until she's hungry. If she says she is, which she most likely will, then offer her something healthy. something healthy. If she denies the food, then say "So you're not hungry?" and you get the idea. There are lots of snacks you could offer her. Bananas, apples, healthy muesli bars, crackers and cheese, nuts (if they're not allergic), grapes, as a treat, yoghurt with bananas, the list goes on.

Here's a website that might be worth visiting:

http://www.healthgoods.com/education/Nutrition_Inf...

Copy and paste it into the website bar thingo...

• bjoy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Everyone should be eating several small meals a day - NOT 3 squares. Children have high energy levels and need the calories to meet the bodies needs. It is not setting up bad eating habits to have healthy snacks between meals. Cheese, fruits, and grains are great for kids to have.

The 3 meals a day life styles actually produces fat children.

• 1 decade ago

She should be eating 3 small meals a day (breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) and then getting snacks as well (healthy ones are best but giving an occasional cookie for a treat isn't a big deal). I know I am big and don't want my boys to have that problem but they really do good overall. Breakfast is at 8 am, snack at 10 am, lunch at noon, snack at 2:30, dinner at 5:30 and a snack around 7:30 at night before bedtime and that seems to keep them satisfied and keeps them from just craving junk food all the time. Kids just like adults need to eat small amounts every 4 hrs to keep a healthy metabolism going and keep their insulin levels from crashing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She must be having a growth spurt. She is fine. Just make her snacking healthy. Fruits, vegs and cheese. Things like that. Put some slices of lunch meat and cheese on a cracker. As long as your dr. says shes fine, she is. If she pitches a fit about the snack you give her let her know that's what she's getting, and if she is hungry she will eat it if not, she will have't to wait til dinner..etc. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Little kids should eat small meals throughout the day, not just the standard 3 squares. They burn energy at a much faster rate, get hungry more often, and need the calorie intake on a more frequent basis.

She won't get fat if she is burning the calories, like in active play. Just feed her things like fruit, cheese, baby carrots, nuts (if she's not allergic), yoghurt, etc...

• 1 decade ago

Kids need snacks too. She should be eating three meals, plus two to three snacks a day.

Offer her healthy things. If she's hungry give her the choice of cheese sticks, apples, a banana, whole grain crackers, etc.

If she doesn't want those things, then she can wait until her next meal time.

GL!

• 1 decade ago

Young children need to eat more frequently than adults. Allow her a snack between meals but keep it healthy. Popcorn is OK without butter, fruits and vegetables are best. A half a slice of whole grain bread with some peanut butter would do.

• 1 decade ago

Snacks are good as long as they are healthy. Give her an apple or some grapes. Or even an orange. Fuirts sweet or tart and popcorn is cool with out butter and half a peanut butter sandwhich with out jelly is good too. If say after lunch she says she is still hungry give her a choice between like fuirst and and veggies. as long as you do teh healty snakc thinsgs he shoudl be ok

• 1 decade ago

She should be getting small snacks between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Make is something healthy like fruit or baby carrots with a little ranch or something like that. Kids play hard, they need the extra calories.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

by being good role models. Now is the time to get in shape. Her odds will be better if you are both healthy. once you both learn what healthy eating habits are sghe will too. Kids stomachs are smaller also. they do not fill up...they nibble. so have a tupperware bowl in the fridge with pre-selected snacks...like sliced apples in lemon juice...or small baby carrots...raisns...things like that. If i have healthy nibbllers around already prepared...i will not so easily reach for the quick fix like the bag of chips or ther evil brother the oreo. hahaa good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.