Hey Marines I have a question ........?

Why do they make you drink a canteen of water every night before lights out in boot camp? beside for hydration,

Favorite Answer

To be honest, I can't tell you a specific reason, barring hydration. I learned that everything in Boot Camp was for a reason, even if it still unclear to me today.

Source(s): U.S. Marine
  • 1. to make you understand the discipline of doing an action when you are told to do it.

2. For hydration of course. You have to drink water the day before an event to be hydrated the day of an event. Once you feel the dry mouth and thirstyness coming on, you are already too late. That is why they make you drink before you go to sleep, so you are hydrated for the first part of the day.

So you get hydrated and will have to get up and the middle of the night . Post

• Lu W

It's to hydrate, just like the sodium you take to replenish yourself. You can leave to use the bathroom at night, most recruits do.

I hear... you are not allowed to leave your bunk after lights out.. hmmm interesting.. If they make you drink a canteen of water before Lights out.. and you cannot leave your bunk... right after you drank that full canteen. heehee, not even to pee... hmmm

interesting EEK!

• Amy S

Hydration is a good enough reason. You'll understand when you're there.

• L. W

When I was at LeJeune, this was not a custom. And we could visit the head whenever. Maybe they started this to find who the bed-wetters were? So they could harass them. They were always looking for ways to 'harass the troops'.

because you dont drink for 8 hrs while you are sleeping and you need to be hydrated in the morning.

and its their way of ******* with us...

Source(s): 4th of July... 3 quarts of water... (got busted looking at fireworks)

D.I. - "uncap em'!"

Recruits - "Uncap em' aye aye sir!"

D.I. - "A Toast!"

Recruits - "To the Corps!"

I remember those days lol. It's to make sure you were always hydrated.

Sorry man but in my day that was not part of the routine...