how do u kno if ur silver is fake or real?

I got this bracelet frm mexico so it absolutely has no markings on it...

the guy said the way u tell is by doing a "flame" test... silver will not change color

he lit a match nd put it under the bracelet, nd it did not change color

was he being truthful?

and now.. it's kinda turning orange-ish....

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I must say that guy was going after your money. & How you can tell is if it rusts, like you said is turning orange, or if the shaping is not the original shape. For example, if you buy a bracelet in the shape of a circle & it turns to a dented circle, it is fake. Also, you can test it before you buy it by feeling the material. Silver is hard, very sleek & if you notice a bit, kind of fragile, fake ones are also hard, but not as sleek. You can tell by the shine of it also.

I hope I helped !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah, its fake. Sterling silver will always have the numbers 954 printed somewhere on it. And if its turning orange, its definitely fake. And if its from Mexico, its definitely fake. Haha jk, but really... :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What Easton said.

Most of the stuff from claires or like icing will do that.

they will turn orange and the metal paint will rub off and turn your skin green

• 1 decade ago

If it is turning orangish, it is not real.

Fake silver can leave green residue on your skin and after some time changes color to a copper looking color.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you could find the specific heat of it. the specific heat of silver is 0.235 J/ g °C. if your answer isn't that then no, it's not silver.

there are other ways to know, but I love chemistry :D

• 1 decade ago

bite it..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.