What is so nice about Spokane, WA?

especially in comparison to Seattle? Ive been to Seattle but never been to Spokane? Is it as nice? Trees? Green? Things to do?

• Stan
    Favorite Answer

Spokane is a lot drier than Seattle so I consider the weather nicer there. Typically it's about 10 degrees warmer in summer and 10 degrees colder in winter. There's less precipitation in the winter, but because of the colder temperatures there's more snow in Spokane.

There are pine trees in Spokane instead of fir trees in Seattle and the terrain is more rugged. It's not as green as Seattle and turns pretty brown in the summer. It looks Eastern California.

Things to do tend to be more outdoorsy - there aren't a lot of museums in Spokane (not many in Seattle for that matter). There's shopping and movies and such and the focal point of the city may the grounds of the '74 world's fair.

Culturally, I'd say Seattle is the kind of place where resident will pay $250 for hiking boots to spend a weekend a year in the mountains looking at deer. A Spokane resident will spend $50 on boots to spend 10 weekends in the mountains shooting at deer.

There's some interesting areas in Spokane. Manito Park on the south hill is nice, as well as Riverfront Park (Expo '74) downtown, where you can take a gondola across the Spokane Falls. There's the Finch Arboretum on the west side of downtown. And the historic Davenport Hotel, which is the nicest, most luxurious hotel in the Northwest. Downtown also has some nice restaurants and River Park Square. The Opera House and Spokane Arena draw some good shows and events from time to time (Broadway Shows, and the U.S. Figure Skating Championships).

Other than that, Spokane is pretty trashy and boring. Nothing really unique about the place, really. Little to no diversity, and lacking in character and culture. Ramshackle neighborhoods laiden with boarded up houses. Shopping sucks, and is your standard fair of chains and strip malls. It's actually kind of a cultural backwater compared to Seattle. Outside of downtown and the south hill, it's dumpy, industrial, and has nothing to offer.

However, it does have some beautiful scenery nearby, such as Lake Coeur d'Alene and the scenic mountains of northern Idaho are within an hour's drive. The city itself has plenty of trees, but it's not nearly as green or beautiful as Seattle. It's a much drier climate.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would go there unless they were on business or had family there. The locals refer to it aptly as 'Spokanistan'.

Source(s): I lived in Spokane for eight years.

Seattle is defenetly (<- Yahoo has the worst spell check Ive seen in my life) a big city, while Spokane is... something else.

Not much there. I suppose the weather's nice, but its brutal in the winter. There are so many other good places...

I currently live in Seattle, and am in spokane at least once a month. I love it. It reminds me of a kinda old town, while close to seattle.

very pretty!

I don't know what is so nice about Spokane. It's just your boring-run of the mill town out in the middle of a bunch of farm-land with almost zero diversity. There aren't many trees, but it did rain while I was there. But overall, I wouldn't say it's the most exciting place in the world.

• Ed P

Its close to Canada

You can Always tell that somebody is from the west side of the state as they us people from the east side are unnecessary & useless. ha ha

not the weather