Why do you think Obama and McCain call each other ________?

I watched the debate a few days ago and noticed that when Obama refers to John McCain, he says "John", calling him by his first name. However, when John McCain makes a reference to Barack Obama, McCain calls Obama either "Mr. Obama" or "Senator Obama".

Why does Obama call McCain by his first name, and why does McCain give Obama such a respectful title?

(I'm writing in Chuck Baldwin(Dr. Ron Paul endorsed candidate), but I was just wondering about this).

Favorite Answer

In formal debate, formal names are properly used.

In the US Senate, the Senators ALWAYS address each other as "Senator XXX," or "the Senator from Illinois," or "my colleague from Arizona."

They NEVER use first names. EVER.

Obama was out of line, as he often is.

He was probably trying to diminish McCain who was seen as holding the advantage of experience in the debate on foreign policy and national security.

Maybe a psychological trick to piss McCain off.

Once McCain caught on, he was having none of Obama's crap.

He never looked at him or reacted to him.

McCain could see everything in his peripheral vision.

That's why Obama stayed so agitated throughout the debate.

Obama came close to blowing hos stack a few times.

I don't think it matters at all. Also McCain looked much older and distant by maintaining titles. So we'll see what happens. I don't think McCain's constant belittling of Obama is respectful.

Using your opponents first name when speaking to him or about him is just another form of expressing hate and dislike, and "posturing".

Mr. McCain on the other hand is an honorable man us tries to be proper in his decorum. This is a matter of giving courtesy whether earned or not, it is respecting the position or the title.

Another reason to vote for McCain.

Obama also called McCain Jim and Tom. I thought that was interesting.

In my opinion, it's just 2 ways of going about it that both have their pros and cons.

First name basis, Pros - comes off friendly and diplomatic. Cons - could be interpretted as informal, or having a lack of seriousness.

Titles included, Pros - sounds professional and business only. Cons - can sound cold and unwelcoming, could be seen as a disconnection.

That's just my two cents. It makes sense that they would pick two opposite ways of going about even that.

• One time I know I heard Obama said Massah McCain. I swear I did.

Why do you think that last name is more respectful? This is just shows that Obama is trying to be on a friendlier basis.

Obama has no respect, Senator McCain respects the office of Senator

Different age groups.

One holds respect at a higher value than the other.

McCain is trying to show that he is the underdog, trying to garner sympathy votes.

He is just pathetic.

Chuck Baldwin? Seriously?

Well, as long as you aren't voting for Mcwhatever.