What is a renters rights and is there an organization to help renters?

I've rented from this man for almost 2 yrs. Last yr he announced I owed him an extra months rent. I had all of my receipts from where the rent had been paid. I've been late a few times with the rent. But have paid the late fee. I was going to be late this month and called and left a message on his phone explaining it. I am a widow of 2 yrs and live on a fixed income and have had some financial probs inwhich I have worked out. But it ment that the rent would be late. On Sat. night when I came home from work he had posted a "Notice to leave Premises". It wasn't notarized or anything. Rent was due on the 27th. He posted it that day. He wants me out by the 2nd of Oct. Is there an organization that helps people fight unfair landlord practices?

Favorite Answer

If you have a lease agreement that states otherwise or do not have anything on paper at all, none of the traditional rules apply. So read your lease if you have one, and see what it states about eviction. Otherwise, every state has it's own laws about evictions. Chances are, he's not allowed to kick you out. I would think that he'd have to give you thirty days notice, and during those 30 days, he's supposed to go to the courts and file for eviction. Then once he is granted the right to evict you, I think you still get some time after he gives you those papers. And usually if you're actually being evicted (if you haven't left by the certain date you were supposed to going by the court papers) he has to have the police or a constable there to force you out. He cannot do it himself. So given all of that, I don't think there's any way he can tell you to leave in one week! You need to contact your local police department and tell them what is going on (a non-emergency number of course). You could also call your local courts and find out where to report him to. They (or the police dept) would at least be able to tell you who to contact or what to do. Don't let him push you around!

I know here in Canada and of course in my province of BC we have tenancy/landlord office to fight these things. I know that he cannot and I mean CAN NOT kick you out and give you 4 to 5 days notice. It is not legal. He also did not give you a legal notice to leave. Rent should be due on the 1st of every month..but obviously you have some other agreement. Call your local government office to find somewhere or someone to help you fight your landlord. Also if you are fixings things in your place..your landlord is responsible to fix them and it should not be coming out of your pocket. Good Luck.

Source(s): Had some similar incident years ago and put the landlord in her place.

Pay the rent immediately and don't be late again. He's trying to begin eviction proceedings for no-payment of rent. If you pay up immediately, he may not be able to proceed. However, if you continue to be late, he can proceed.

Your financial problems do not become your landlord's financial problems unless you have a written agreement where he consents to accept late payments.

• Qextor

It depends where you are. Google your state and renter's rights. Usually, your landlord needs to use a specific form, and petition the court for an eviction notice.

• Leon

There should be a tenants board or something in your state or your city. Tenants rights vary from state to state so you need to google the tenants board where you live and call them and ask about your rights.