Should we be concerned about Obama?

His father was an alcoholic, in fact he died in a DWI-related accident, and alcoholism is believed to be inherited. Can a potential alcoholic be trusted to run the country?

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/articles/...

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

everything about obama concerns me, including this

• 1 decade ago

McCain would be MUCH worse:

"The first line of McCain’s political resume should read, ‘Ditched a crippled woman to marry the Budweiser heiress.’"

"...one has to honestly conclude that while the Times overplayed its hand by alluding to an unsubstantiated sexual relationship between McCain and a female lobbyist, the basic thrust of its story against the Arizona Senator was correct. McCain did favors for the client of the attractive blonde lobbyist, Vicki Iseman, who was single and just 32 when she began lobbying him. McCain said Iseman was just a "friend," whatever that means. She represented Paxson Communications through a lobbying firm called Alcalde & Fay and bragged about her influence with McCain."

"Senator Thad Cochran, who has known McCain for decades and has battled him over earmarks,has expressed concern about a McCain presidency: "He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me.""

That last one about the anger issue is scary. Last thing we need is a president who can't keep a cool head.

And alcoholism isn't just inherited, anyone can become an alcoholic. About 25% of children of alcoholics become alcoholics, so I don't think you should be that worried. Obama has done pretty well for being the son of an alcoholic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obama is a Senator. Do you really believe that President Bush's Patriot Act, the FBI, the Secret Service, and Capitol Police wouldn't have identified him as an unstable person already?

I am equally unconcerned about electing Senator McCain to be President, a man who has suffered torture and likely experienced post traumatic stress in southeast Asia. I say this despite HIS history of acting erratically and ostracizing himself from his own party.

Seriously, unlike Palin who was put on the ticket for strategy, both Obama and McCain deserve respect for their achievements and the great race their about to give us.

• molly_
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

That's a very distant relation to make. Obama has no history of his own as far as alcohol abuse, and is healthy. He also never really knew his father. Were we to discriminate based on hereditary relations to alcoholics, a lot of people would miss out on opportunities.

Worry instead about the other candidate, who has had cancer four times.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes we should be concerned. if we don't get this man into office we may well lose our nation. we cannot allow the same gangsters that have been ruining this country for almost eight years.

as to the alcoholism issue, Barack doesn't strike me as the type. but this country has been administered by a full blown alcoholic for eight years now.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes we should but not because his father was an alcoholic. That's stupid...just cause somebodys dad is or did something bad doesn't mean they will.

• 1 decade ago

I am not concerned about him becoming an alcoholic but he is a smooth talking con artist and that concerns me.

• 1 decade ago

Why not?

We trusted Bush for 8 years.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

But Bush IS an alcoholic and he DID get several DUIs!!! Laura Bush also killed her boyfriend with her car!

"It was crushing."

--Laura Bush on running a stop sign and smashing into her boyfirend's car and killing him.

http://www.bartcop.com/pickles.htm

• 1 decade ago

No, he cannot be trusted, and that doesn't even have anything to do with alcohol. He's just bad news all around.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no, we should worry about mccain coz him president its like anoer 5yrs of bush but worse

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.