car only starts if i put my foot on the accelerator right after turnig the key?

ok i got a 98 infiniti i30 wit about 114,300 miles on it, in the morning or after by car has been off for awile ill start the car up, then next thign i no the rpms start to go down to 0 n the car turns off, but if i use the accelerator b4 the rpms start goin down its fine, and if the engine is still warm the car will start no problem n wont need to use the accelerator at all

Update:

im no mechanic but i dout its a fuel pump, becuase if it was wouldnt i have this problem all the time not just only when starting it and when the engine is cold, also would this have any major damage on the car

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

this is caused by the cold start sensor replace it and youll be fine

• 1 decade ago

possibly coolant temp sensor causing it to try and start under a false temperature, or maybe a bad mass air sensor. hard to check without hooking it up to a scanner.

• 1 decade ago

sounds like you need a tune up.

and if your CHECK ENGINE light is on your coolant temp. sensor is probably going bad (this tells your engine computer how hot or cold the engine is running).

• 1 decade ago

sounds like a fuel pump

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you should take it in to a shop for maintenance. you dont have to take it to an infiniti dealership because they rip you off just take it to a local shop

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.