I can't use any search engine due to a virus!!! Help!!!?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I'm a huge fan of google. unfortuatly I can't use it due to a virus.... My brother was looking for a way to watch free movies on the internet... so he went on some websiter I've never ...show more
Best Answer
Try virus cleaning in Safe Mode, by tapping F8 during boot. If you can't get it clean that way, reformat the computer.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (5)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • lukaj2003 answered 6 years ago
    If you know the name of the virus you could search for removal instructions on the internet (on a different computer).
    If your computer is heavily infested, you could do a system restore from a date before your computer got infected. System restores are useful but you might still have some traces of the virus, so if you do a system restore make sure you scan your computer fully.

The virus might be redirecting your web searches through a registry entry, so you could open the registry editor (Start>Run>regedit) and find your browser and look through the registry for any suspicious entries. If you don't already, upgrade to Firefox, in version 3 it will warn you about dangerous sites.

Source(s):

Had my share of viruses too!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Brett M answered 6 years ago
    First off calm down. Second don't let your little brother use your computer to "looking for a way to watch free movies on the internet".

1. Backup all files to a external hard drive. DON'T copy any of the system files, just pictures and stuff like that.

2. There are many other anti-virus programs out there, but many viruses are beyond them. I would reinstall (completely erase the drive), it will be the easiest solution without taking it to a "tech" guy.

People get bent out of shape about reinstalling. It is supposed to be done every year anyways.

http://www.mcintyremedia.com/

Source(s):

• 1
    • Comment
  • wiiρlυѕ answered 6 years ago
    Download ComboFix here and follow the instructions:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix...

If your computer is that messed up, the only way to fix it up would be to use ComboFix. Very powerful tool ^^

DJ Wings: All that software you recommended, erm, suck badly. Yeah... you'd barely be able to visit a site without getting a drive-by download infection with that junk.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Chris R answered 6 years ago
    I had the identical problem. I had to do a recovery of my computer which turned out not to be so bad. Backup all your documents to CD and do a recovery or reinstall. Just put your cd in and follow the instructions Once I did this I installed Bitdefender and it found 6 more trojans in "my backup files" and deleted them. You probably have "anti virus 2008" which is a trojan, it stopped all my processes, couldn't update or do system-restore, constant redirects, etc.

Good luck.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • DJ Wings answered 6 years ago
    Use another computer and a big flash drive to get a antivirus software, I highly advise Norton Corporate Edition and Lavasoft Adaware SE Personal and WIndows D to fully protect the computer.

You can be so secure that you could surf porn for 2 hours and not have a problem.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock