Why didn't the Lord Jesus Christ say, "I and my Father are one God," if that's what he meant (Jo. 10:30)?

By contrast, he did say plainly, "The Father is greater than I am." (John 14:28)

Favorite Answer

Our public talk was on the trinity today. :]

If you continue to read, you will find out what he really meant by that statement.

As stated previously, he was going to be stoned because the Jews thought that he meant just what the trinitarians believe that he meant. But he goes on to say;

John 10:36 do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son? 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. 38 But if I am doing them, even though YOU do not believe me, believe the works, in order that YOU may come to know and may continue knowing that the Father is in union with me and I am in union with the Father.”

Also concider what he says later on in

John 17:20 “I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word; 21 in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth. 22 Also, I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one. 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, that the world may have the knowledge that you sent me forth and that you loved them just as you loved me.

If we are to take John 10:30 literal, then that would make us all God as well. He did say that we are one with them, didn't he? But we all know that we are not God, therefore we can see that Jesus was not saying that he is God, he was saying how they are unified in pourpose.

It makes sinse when we read the whole bible, and not just a few verses.

Jesus did not say he was God, he said he was son of God....John 10:36.

Many Jews accused him falsely of that as they believed no one lived in heaven except God. The Sadducees especially did not believe in angels or spirits which means only God was in heaven to come down from heaven.

It was a false accusation by the Jews, not a true statement from Jesus. Jews are the synagogue of Satan and of their father the devil who fathered lies. John 8:44, Rev. 2:9, 3:9.

Debbie

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. It seems like it has something to do at least a little with the doctrine about the Trinity. There is a group of so called oneness Christians that teach a very non Biblical viewpoint about God and the Bible. I know I got mixed up with them about thirty years ago. It is very important that you have the true Biblical understanding about this doctrine. Please have patience, and read this. (Of God and of the Holy Trinity) 1. There is but one only, living, and true God, who is infinite in being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions; immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, most wise, most holy, most free, most absolute; working all things according to the counsel of his own immutable and most righteous will, for his own glory; most loving, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; the rewarder of them that diligently seek him; and withal, most just, and terrible in his judgments, hating all sin, and who will by no means clear the guilty. (Westminster Confession of Faith. Chapter 2 section 1. I advise you to get a copy of the Westminster Confession of Faith. At The Westminsterbookstore.com. They have many good books about the Bible there. Don't let anybody fool you sir. (The Devil appears as an angle of light) There are people in the world that try to tear down the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity. It can't ever happen. It is God's word and Spirit that prove it. The lier tries to tear it down. Go on the internet. Do a search for Reformed Theology. Also look at the blog site called Greenbaggins.wordpress.com I pray to God for you right now that He the Holy Spirit would guide,and comfort you, in your search for Biblical truth. God Bless You

Source(s): The Westminster Confession of Faith The English Standard Version Bible

John 10:30 "I and My Father are one"

John 10;30;

this is the clearest statement of Jesus' divinity He ever made, Jesus and His Father are not the same person, but they are one in essence and nature. Thus, Jesus is not merely a good teacher -- he is God. His claim to be God was unmistakable.

Ftwasher said that the Jews believed that Jesus was blaspheming saying he was god's son they also said Jesus expelled demons by means of Beelzebub the ruler of the demons were they right no they wanted any excuse to kill Jesus

before you downplay the statement remember the Jews picked up rocks to kill him when he said it

it was clear to them he was blaspheming

Joh 10:30 I and the Father are one."

Joh 10:31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.

Joh 10:32 Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?"

Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God."

the context is everything

why did Jesus say"Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." (Mark 10:18,

and

"I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." (RS, Catholic edition)

TIME and again, Jesus made statements such as: "The Son cannot do anything at his own pleasure, he can only do what he sees his Father doing." (John 5:19, The Holy Bible, by Monsignor R. A. Knox) "I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me." (John 6:38) "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me." (John 7:16) Is not the sender superior to the one sent?

The followers of Jesus seem to have viewed him as a submissive servant of God, not as God's equal. They prayed to God about "thy holy servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, . . . and signs and wonders are performed through the name of thy holy servant Jesus."—Acts 4:23, 27, 30, RS, Catholic edition.

Then why did the Jews try to stone him to death? Because they understood him to say he and the Father are one God. Which is a blasphemous statement to the Jews. Blasphemy deserved the death penalty.

Jesus is not the Lord of anything.

Jesus was a prophet sent from God.

You are disrespecting God by calling Jesus the lord.