M. B asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What common the Portuguese terms of endearment used in Brazil?

I figure there might be differences in Portugal vs Brazil in terms of slang. What are the common terms of endearment? Also what are the Portuguese translations for phrases like: sweetheart, darling, little one? Also what does "ioió" mean?

Best Answer

In Recifie (N. Brazil) they say "mainha" (dimunitive of mother).

However, my tutor (from Recife) told me that nobody else says that.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): common portuguese terms endearment brazil: https://shortly.im/pbYAe
  • Gail

Pie, sweetie, honey-pie, dear one, sweet pie, are the ones I use every day of my work week. I'm a primary teacher, but even older children love to be referenced by these terms. I mostly use them because I can't remember all the names and don't know quite a few (not in my class, but I am popular with the children, probably for this reason!) I think they all need to be spoken to in terms that declare they are special. Like pie, they eat it up. Might be the only time some of them get spoken to nicely all day. I don't do it with adults. Sorry. You should have explained to the friend of the friend immediately.

Per the gentleman and his tutor in Recife. I believe the tutor is wrong. The term "Mainha" is used quite frequently in the NE of Brasil, including Recife, Joao Pessoa and Natal. It is important to remember pronunciation of words in the NE of Brasil are different than in the South and there are also words used in the NE that are not used in the South. Perhaps the tutor is from the South originally and does not know or understand this

• Diogo

Querida (darling, used by men for women)

Querido (used by women for men)

Coração (heart, used as sweetheart)

Docinho de côco (literally a kind of coconut candy)

Bem (something like 'my welfare')

Benzinho (diminutive)

Amor (love) or meu amor (my love)

ioiô, means yo-yo, I don't know another meaning for it.