Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

still looking for info about puppies with leg tremors?

I am still trying to find out more info about one of my pups who has a shaky rear leg. He is fine when he is walking and running and playing, it's only shaky when he is standing still on it. mostly noticing it on his left leg. He has been to the vet, the vet seems unconcerned about a genetic disease since the symptoms literally came up overnight. I am wondering if anyone knows much about idiopathic leg disorder?

I will be getting x-rays done as soon as he turns 8 weeks old, which is in about 2 weeks from now.

thanks for any info!

Favorite Answer

My black lab has and always had a tremor in both hindlegs since he was a pup. The vet said it is similar to essential tremor in humans. Which means it is a benign issue. It seems more than it is. As in essential tremor the hands or legs have uncontrollable shaking or shivering with no known cause. Just to be safe, have it checked out but I think it is fine. ANd they usually do not outgrow it, it is just there. It usually does not interfere with the ability to do any tasks or agility.

Source(s): dog owner, personal experience, vet assistant

One of the possiblities is a growth plate injury when the dog was a puppy - If the growth plate is damaged before it seals, the bone no longer grows. Since there are two bones in the foreleg, if one stops growing, and the other doesn't, the legs will be bowed. If this is the case, sometimes surgery can be done to fix it - to diagnose it, radiographs should be taken and sent to an orthopedic surgeon. If surgery is not done/possible, they can be kept comfortable with pain medications (when needed - may not be right away), but at some point they develop arthritis and become too painful for the medications. They will typically have a shorter lifespan without surgery than with surgery due to arthritis and pain.

It could be anything from neurological damage from a vaccine to a genetic disorder. No one can really give you a definitive answer because we would need to see xrays or CAT scans.

it could be luxating patella, which is a genetic problem.

not often seen in bigger dogs, but due to a lot of back yard breeding is getting more common in larger dogs.

There may be stifle damage, id be getting a x ray done to rule out hips dyslpacia....

Good luck anyways