What is the importance of linguistics?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have to write a paper defining "language" and in my intro I would like to write why it is important to know about language, but I can't really think of anything decent. And I am ...show more
Update : well, linguistics is the study of language, so why is it important to ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
When you understand a person's language (not how to speak it, but what it's about), you understand more about them. Language tells us what the culture finds important or unimportant, its history, its expectations, its fears, and its hopes.

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
Thanks!
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Bostezo answered 6 years ago
    Your question is "What is the importance of linguistics?", yet at the end you say "I am not looking for answers as to why language is important".

Edit: I understand your question now.

You could say the study of linguistics is important because it helps you gain an understanding of how language works. This can facilitate learning new languages as well as help you learn new things about your own.
    • Comment
  • james b answered 6 years ago
    Linguistics takes an analytical approach to the study of language, and Linguistics concentrators develop skills in data analysis, problem solving, and logical thinking that can be applied to many fields. For example, graduates with a B.A. in linguistics have a firm foundation (sometimes in combination with training in another specialization) from which they can pursue careers in such areas as the publishing and communication industries, translating and interpreting, computational fields, foreign language teaching, and the teaching of English as a second language.

Many students with a linguistics B.A. choose to undertake graduate study in this area, or in the related disciplines of psychology, speech and hearing sciences, anthropology, philosophy, or computer science; Linguistics also provides excellent preparation for law school.

Language and the mind/brain.Because language is a universal human characteristic, and a component unique to the human mind/brain, studying the nature of human language provides important insight into human cognitive abilities. Linguists who focus on language as a cognitive process are interested in such questions as: What do you know when you "know" a language? (And what do you know that enables you to translate the symbols you are now reading into meanings?) How do children acquire language and why is learning a second language often difficult? Why is it so challenging to program computers to understand language? How might language have evolved in humans? How do our language abilities compare to other cognitive abilities? Many linguists who explore language as a cognitive process conduct experiments in such areas as speech perception and production, language processing, and child language acquisition to better answer these questions.

Language in society.Language use is an inherently social phenomenon. How you speak depends on such factors as where you grew up, your racial and ethnic identity, whether you are a woman or man, and your education. That is, you use the variation in language as a creative means of expressing who you are (and who you are not). By studying this variation, researchers enhance their understanding of language as well as their understanding of social processes, and discover the social factors that influence our linguistic choices and how these choices are perceived by others. Linguists who study the social aspects of language also investigate such topics as how and why languages change over time, how new languages are created when speakers of divergent languages come into contact, how language attitudes are used to maintain forms of discrimination, how conversations are social transactions, the relation between language and power, and the use of language in the media.

Source(s):

some bs speech found off a randon google search
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow