Why did this happen? (this is long but important)?

I was on a spring break trip with my church and we went down to Panama City Beach and stayed for about a week. About the middle of the week me and my friend were swimming in the ocean and she asked me if I wanted to go out to sandbar. I had never actually swam in the ocean before (I was afraid of sharks and what not). Anyway I said that I would, just to try it. I didn't realize that the yellow flag on the lifegaurd stand was for mild waves. I was swimming out to the sandbar and there was a drop off from where the coast was to the sandbar, from the drop off we were about 20 feet away from where we could actually touch again. But I didn't expect there to be a drop off because id never done it before, and I swam about 5 feet and started freaking out because the waves had started getting bigger and I couldn't move forward, at that point I was about half way to the sandbar. I started getting tired and I started to have an anxiety attack, and that made it hard for me to breathe. I told my friend that I couldn't swim anymore and that I should go back, but she told me that if I tried to swim back i wouldn't make it, (not the answer I wanted or need to hear). I kept trying to swim but I wasn't getting anywhere, she told me to float, so i tried it but a wave crashed down on top of me and I went under and i got choked and couldn't breathe. At that point my body was too tired to move and I was in shock and I felt like i was having a heart attack. I seriously thought that I was going to drown. Another wave crashed on me and I went under again, my friend pulled me up. I looked over at the sandbar and I saw that there were no more waves, seriously I didn't see any waves in front of me. There were 2 guys near the sandbar and I shouted for them to help me, I hand't seen them before i went under. When they got me to the sandbar I rested and got back to normal. The waves were still stopped, once i was ok to swim I turned back around to the coast and I started to swim back. When I was going back the waves started up again and they kind of pushed me back to the shore. I was so happy to be back on land but i was tired so I went to my room and slept.

It wasn't till I got home that I realized that I could have died. I probably would have If the waves hadn't have stopped and those guys weren't there.

I know that some of you may think that I was to freaked out to think anything rational, and that the waves hadn't stopped and that those guys were there all along. But I know what I saw and I know that a higher power made them possible. Someone was truly watching over me. For that I know that I am here on earth for a reason.

Has any of you ever had an experience like mine or something that made you think that god put you on earth for a reason?

P.S. I am sorry for the lengh of the question but you tend to remember everything that happens when you have a near death experience.

Favorite Answer

I am a drowning survivor. In 1992, I was rescued when unconcious at the bottom of a nine-foot deep pool. I had the same thoughts and feelings you are expressing. I came out of that experience with a renewed conviction that my life is in God's hands. As grateful as I was to the people who saved my life, I can now relate even more gratefully to my Savior who saved me for eternity through a huge sacrifice on His part. It is appropriate that this is a time of reflection and growth for you. And I say to you what many people said to me back then--I'm glad you're alive!

I've had several miraculous experiences. Some are near impossible to even believe, unless you were there. I ask for "signs" from the angels or otherworldly beings. It's comforting to me when I receive the signs I asked for.

It's okay if no one else on earth understands this experience, other than you. You were there - it was your experience. It was for you. Were the two guys really angels? I don't know. Quite possibly they were. Maybe they weren't. Maybe they were sent by angels to be in the right place at the right time.

Others may scoff and say it's all coincidence. Coincidences don't have a profound effect on you, do they?

Enjoy, remember and write down this experience. It will lift you up when you need it in the future. I'm thankful you survived all of this. You'll have others like this, too. The first (for me) is the most profound - because it's the first!

I send more blessings and good thoughts your way. Have a great week and enjoy walking on the clouds (metaphorically) of this experience. Don't let anyone else dampen your personal experience. Pray they will have their own, because it's so incredible, isn't it?

Source(s): My personal experiences and those of others

Bless your heart, I know how scared you must have been!!! I can honestly say that i know in my heart that Jesus saved you from drowning. Sometimes it's hard to see, but Jesus does have a divine purpose for our lives. He put those lifeguards there and calmed those waves in order for you to be rescued. It's like when he was with His disciples in the fishing boat. Everyone else was freaking out, but He had faith that God would protect Him, and calmed the storm. I don't know if this relates to your question at all, but I recently went snorkeling at the Keyes. I am so unbelievably scared of the ocean and its creatures. Here comes the metaphor............ So anyway, the water in the mangroves was so merky, that you could only see what was right in front of you, and if you looked ahead, all you could see was bluriness, and i kept getting scared of what was ahead. I started praying and soon found a connection between the mangroves and Jesus. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on what is right in front of you because you're too wrapped up in what will happen next. I realized that the only way to get through this life without ending up in the nuthouse, is to keep your eyes on Jesus, and not think about what could be or what will happen tommorrow. Concentrate on today, and look to Jesus for your strength. I really pray this made sense to you, for it was a little foggy to me:)

Hope this helped,

In Christ,

Dara

Every person has a purpose here on earth. And everything happens for a reason. Those guys weren't just there by accident. God was intervening to save ur life

• Yogini

I believe in divinity but I do not believe divinity intervenes. You had a break in the tide and the wind which led to you being able to see someone or two people on shore. They very graciously helped you get back to shore because of their divinity. Why was no one spared in the tsumani but 2 years ago? Were they all bad people? Were the one's spared just more special than the others? No. You were lucky and I'm not saying this to diminish your experience or the value of your life.

Angels do exist, I believe you encountered a couple. We don't die until it is our time. It wasn't yours and God sent an angel to help you, maybe it was your Guardian Angel, and a helper because you were in a sticky situation. Who knows only God, be grateful for the life you have and thank God for saving your life so you can live to go on another Spring Break.

Pray the Rosary and receive the Sacraments for the Glory of God in the Highest!

Source(s): Obediently Traditional Roman Catholic

Fireball, I've always defended you, but your judgmental reply to this young person who is seeking answers leaves me scratching my head.

Dopulov: Only you and God can decide between you what the meaning of your experience was, but I think you are on the right track. Someone IS watching over you, and your life DOES have a reason. Thank God you are still here with us, and may God continue to bless you all the days of your life.

God puts everyone on earth for His purpose and for His glory. We are to do all things for God's glory. Life is not about us. It's all about living for God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

• Feythe

I don't know why it happened, but it's obvious that it's had a very profound effect on you.

Perhaps now that you've been given a 'second chance' at life, you will find your purpose,or your focus, and go on to do great things. (And remember, even small things can be great things).

Take care, glad you're still alive.

try to show him that it is not damgeroud make it seem not scary or dangerous try to show him that there will be accidents but that skateboarding is your dream or like u cant liv without it there will be injurys to everything there is a risk just living is a life or death situtaion he has to learn