Why did this happen? (this is long but important)?

I was on a spring break trip with my church and we went down to Panama City Beach and stayed for about a week. About the middle of the week me and my friend were swimming in the ocean and she asked me if I wanted to go out to sandbar. I had never actually swam in the ocean before (I was afraid of sharks and what... show more I was on a spring break trip with my church and we went down to Panama City Beach and stayed for about a week. About the middle of the week me and my friend were swimming in the ocean and she asked me if I wanted to go out to sandbar. I had never actually swam in the ocean before (I was afraid of sharks and what not). Anyway I said that I would, just to try it. I didn't realize that the yellow flag on the lifegaurd stand was for mild waves. I was swimming out to the sandbar and there was a drop off from where the coast was to the sandbar, from the drop off we were about 20 feet away from where we could actually touch again. But I didn't expect there to be a drop off because id never done it before, and I swam about 5 feet and started freaking out because the waves had started getting bigger and I couldn't move forward, at that point I was about half way to the sandbar. I started getting tired and I started to have an anxiety attack, and that made it hard for me to breathe. I told my friend that I couldn't swim anymore and that I should go back, but she told me that if I tried to swim back i wouldn't make it, (not the answer I wanted or need to hear). I kept trying to swim but I wasn't getting anywhere, she told me to float, so i tried it but a wave crashed down on top of me and I went under and i got choked and couldn't breathe. At that point my body was too tired to move and I was in shock and I felt like i was having a heart attack. I seriously thought that I was going to drown. Another wave crashed on me and I went under again, my friend pulled me up. I looked over at the sandbar and I saw that there were no more waves, seriously I didn't see any waves in front of me. There were 2 guys near the sandbar and I shouted for them to help me, I hand't seen them before i went under. When they got me to the sandbar I rested and got back to normal. The waves were still stopped, once i was ok to swim I turned back around to the coast and I started to swim back. When I was going back the waves started up again and they kind of pushed me back to the shore. I was so happy to be back on land but i was tired so I went to my room and slept.
It wasn't till I got home that I realized that I could have died. I probably would have If the waves hadn't have stopped and those guys weren't there.
I know that some of you may think that I was to freaked out to think anything rational, and that the waves hadn't stopped and that those guys were there all along. But I know what I saw and I know that a higher power made them possible. Someone was truly watching over me. For that I know that I am here on earth for a reason.
Has any of you ever had an experience like mine or something that made you think that god put you on earth for a reason?

P.S. I am sorry for the lengh of the question but you tend to remember everything that happens when you have a near death experience.