Do 18 year olds need to have an instructional permit for 6 months before they can get a drivers license?

I know that all minors need to hold their drivers permit for 6 months before testing for a drivers license. Is it the same for 18 year olds?

I live in California, so does anyone what the rules are here? I'm aware now that you need a permit before a license even if you're 18 years old, but is there a minimum amount of time that you must have the permit when you are 18 before you are able to get your license?

Favorite Answer

I think it's for you to practice driving fo the necessary amount of hours before you can get your license.

If you don't finish the hours needed before the six months are up you have to renew it for another six months until the end of your drivers ed contract.

• ?

I think it depends on where you live. In Florida, I know the rules are as follows: A) You must have had your Learner's Permit for at least 1 year, unless you are coming up to the date of your 18th birthday. B) You must have over 50 hours of driving experience, 10 of which are at night. C) You can't start nigh driving with a Learner's Permit until having it for at least 3 months. D) You pass your Driving Test, which includes a car that passes inspection. E) You have a parent or guardian cosign because you are still a minor. I think that's all their is.

Yes you need a permit before a license

yes you do have to have a driving permit before you can obtain a drivers license. that is how you get the information on driving laws and also give you time to practice driving legally. you cannot practice driving on a road if you don't have a permit. it is required that minors attend driving school before they can obtain a license. people 18 and over do not have to attend driving school but do have to get a permit before they can get a license.

Yes

every state have there own laws about obtain an license

no, once your 18 you can get your regular license

nope i never had one

no