I have a 1990 ford 150 truck. The squeeling of the serpintine fan belt wont go away. Put on new tensioner. ?

new tension bar 3 belts stp spray tried what can i do

Favorite Answer

If a new tensioner didn't solve your problem when you changed it(you did change the belt at the same time, right?) then I would suspect the idler pulley.

While you are having your car serviced (oil change, filter, air filter) Have them tighten up the belt or replace it. This way you are getting it repaired for less money. Taking the car in just for the belt being tightened will be more costly than having the above done too. And a lot of times you can get it done as being a good customer for free.

I have had LOTS of these. After time the powersteering pump wears and creates just enough of a mis-alignment of the belt ribs that you get a squeak. You can either purchase a pulley installation tool and move the pulley in approx. 1/16-1/8 in. or just go ahead and repl. the pump assy. My bet is this IS your problem.

Source(s): 20+yrs. Ford Tech
  • 144289

Usually when you put a NEW belt, it should by kinda hard to put, make sure the fan clutch isn't stuck

try a little soap on the belt

new belt or theres another pulley bad