Coal vs. Gas (Electric Cars vs. Internal Combustion Engine)?

We were discussing the electric car vs. gas car. Everyone was so excited (ok, maybe not the correct word) about the electric car. When asked if they might use electricity car, a lot of people shot up their hands and I was like, hmm! I didn't speak out because I wanted to do more research about it. I was... show more We were discussing the electric car vs. gas car. Everyone was so excited (ok, maybe not the correct word) about the electric car. When asked if they might use electricity car, a lot of people shot up their hands and I was like, hmm! I didn't speak out because I wanted to do more research about it.

I was surprised when nobody brought up where electricity comes from. Coal. Zero emissions? Are you kidding me? The electric car is just another way of masking the problem. The people don't see it and they forget about where we get the energy from.

I was studying the efficiency of coal. It was definitely less than 20%. I don't have any notes on it anymore but I think it's less than 10 or 5 percent efficient after all the refining (and the energy they use to produce it and make it usable) they have to do. What I do remember is that I was ASTOUNDED at how low coal's efficiency was. We went through all the processes it went through and how much energy it lost in each process (in heat, light, sound, etc.) up til the end when it became electricity.

So I guess my two main questions are:

How efficient is coal - after all the processing they do in order to make it usable? (and how much would it take to run a car for 100km perhaps)
How efficient is gas - after all the processing they do in order to make it usable? (and how much would it take to run a car for 100km perhaps)

And compare them by their greenhouse gas emissions? With the amount of coal needed to run an electric car for 100km, and the amount of gas needed to run a regular gasoline car, which would produce more greenhouse gas emissions?

--------------

Of course, if there were more of the other alternative energy such as nuclear, hydro, solar and wind, electric cars would be a better choice BUT for now, coal produces the majority of our electricity.