Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

How can I take better notes as I read?

Which is more effective? Reading a chapter and highlighting important information, then going back and taking notes on what was highlighted OR not highlighting and just taking notes as I read? Does it even matter?

Favorite Answer

Reading to myself OUT LOUD, so that my own ears hear it, always worked best for me; however, the universal rule for all readers is to maintain focus on the material being read. You see, I love reading, but as a writer, sometimes I will let my mind wonder off the subject of my reading due to something as simple as grammar usage by the author. Personally, I constantly have to remind myself to remain focused on the topic of my reading. Try reading out loud, it may work for you, which is especially true if you are able to learn audibly.

As far as notes. Highlighting is a tried and true method, but it only works if you return to read everything, and not just what was highlighted. Upon rereading, if you only read what is highlighted, it may make you miss something important that wasn't highlighted in your first passing. After the second time reading through, you should have found everything required by the course you are taking.

IMPORTANT: Always tough base with your instructor after the second reading. Althouygh they won't give you the questions to the coming exam, just your knowledge of the material, which will show the instructor you actually have taken the time to acquire the information, should further inspire the instructor to narrow down the workload by compartmentalizing his/her learning objectives for you.

In other words, the instructor will relay what he/she thinks is important information from the material. (At least I always would. :o)

You have to develop your own, possibly unique, personal learning stratagems.

Good lcuk and give the reading out loud thing a try. It always worked/works for me.

reading and highlighting and then taking notes is WAY too time consuming i think. What I do is as I read I try to take notes on important info. Then, after i finish my notes (or when I'm studying), I go back through and highlight all the important terms/events/equations/vocab and review what they mean/their significance.

Source(s): I'm a student that takes AP/college courses and gets A's in them

the way i see it, if u can highlight, then do that. I only take notes when I don't own the text. In some cases I'll make copies of text i don't own and highlight that. so, in all, highlight. If extra notes need to entered you can use the margins. Plus then, there's no notes to lose!

You can write down a couple of questions to answer while you are reading your assignment so that if you have a question containing that information you don't have to go back through the packet of notes and reread the entire thing just to answer that question.