Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Bujinkan style fist, does it always hurt to punch with this?

BUjinkan style fist is where you try and put your fingertips on the inside of your first knuckles. You havce to hold your hand very tight to keep it that way. But I find that punching a heavy bag like that jams my fingers and feels like they could sprain if my punches weren't so feeble. But a boxing style fist with the fingertips resting on the crease of the hand feels fine.

No I used to train in bujinkan at a dojo with a sensei and everything. But we never actually hit anything. I just tried it out on a heavy bag and ow. Hurts even more than a bare knuckle no wraps boxing punch on the same bag

• Renyo
    Best Answer

1. make sure when closing your fist, you tuck your liitle finger and finger beside it in first, real tight , you need to protect these 2 fingers.

2. next are the 2 fore fingers, these are connected to the 2 bones in your arm. these are the fingers you will hit with. pull them into the fist as tight as you can curl them too. these 2 stick out slightly more than the smaller 2 (already tucked in). then the thumb sits on top of the second bone of your fore fingers under your knuckles.

3. when hitting make sure your wrist isn't bent, your fist must be in perfect perpendicular line to the puchbag, and your arm also.

4. you dont fully close your fist until you come into contact with the object, so you need to practice closing your fist right a fair bit or it will hurt for a while until you get used to punching.

Yeah, that sounds like a great way to break your own fingers. And even more so, if you have to constantly keep your hand really tight, it will make your punches really weak and slow.

But hey, maybe thats intentional! A fragile fist is complimented by a weak punch.

... But seriously, this seems pretty suspicious. Martial Arts, with its many facets and layers, isn't so complex that it should defy simple logic... Such as, sturdy fist = sturdy punch. Brittle fist = broken hand, no train for 3 months.

I would either make my fist in the way that I find most comfortable, quit the school, or make peace with the fact that I'll never be able to spar, hit the bag, or pads without greviously injuring myself.

I don't have any experience with bujinkan or the punching style you just mentioned, only palm and closed fist. But here's my take on it.

Make sure you have a "QUALIFIED TEACHER" who can watch you carefully and insure you don't injure yourself (possibly permanently) by hitting too hard especially so early during your training. And might even use some hand balm to help keep your hands healthy.

The fist seems designed for piercing softer or narrow parts of the body and not against harder surfaces.

I'd just suggest being careful bout how you train for hitting harder. But if up to me I wouldn't train with my fist that way. You certainly can't spar with it like that

• idai

Hi there

I take it then you have been reading books on bujin and various clips on youtube then!

Oh dear!

You see this is the real problem with the net.

The fist you have see with the tumb on top of the fist is the fist used for koppo jutsu! Its a completely different way of striking and its not a punch. When the fist is used in fudo ken its a normal fist like just like the boxing one.

There are various hand strikes that are used for different targets to create different openings.

Please train with someone who knows what there doing and stop reading crap on the web.

Dont practice koppo jutsu on a bag? Wear gloves!

Best wishes

idai

Different hand shapes are designed to be tools for different purposes. The Boxing fist, a compacted fist, is for impacting the first two knuckles on a target and it can handle an impact on a heavy bag (as can a Hammer-fist), or on solid bone such as ribs or jaw (provided you align hand, wrist and forearm etc). However, as every boxer with wrapped and padded fists knows, repeatedly hitting a solid target risks damage to the fist. Any hard object striking another hard object must, by physics, result in trauma to both. The Half-fist formation that you describe is no more meant to hit a hard surface than is a single finger stab. You (and teachers) simply need to ask the question: What is each weapon (flesh, bone or metal) designed to accomplish? The Half-fist's function is more that of a multiple tool, and as such, it loses the specialised ability of the more single functioning tool that is a normal fist (E.G. ramming). The Half-fist is for Jabbing and it gives you a half-finger extension on your reach - so, IF both fighters' arms were the same length, then with simultaneous strikes, your half-fist would hit him before his fist hit you. Obviously, many formations of the hand and fingers for striking are designed to only penetrate soft targets and so you don't do heavy bag work with them.

A good general rule is: Strike your hard parts (such as bones, knuckles, finger tips, elbows, knees) into his soft parts, and to damage his hard parts you use your padded tools such as the chopping open-hand edge (with its tensed muscle), Hammer-fist and ball of the foot. Over conditioning of the bones for striking leads eventually to damaged joints (arthritis) and deadening of nerves that run along the bone (such as the shin bone).

This Half-fist (as I understand by your description) is mainly an open hand formation that allows a long range knuckle thrust to soft targets such the throat or Solar plexus; a hand chop with the edge to soft or harder targets; a back of hand slap; a thumb knuckle dig into a soft target; a cupped palm slap such as its shape compressing air into the opponent's ear; and, as the hand is semi-open it can swiftly grip the opponent. As with any body tool, misuse leads to damage to yourself, so training and accuracy are required plus knowledge of what a hand formation can and cannot do.

If you are pounding a part of you into an object (E.G. a bag) and it hurts, then you are damaging yourself. Are you training to hurt yourself or to hurt your opponent? I would suggest that you are using the wrong target object; or using the wrong tool; or using that tool incorrectly formed; or using the tool in an incorrect manner; or have not understood what you were told; or you are using the incorrect instructor. With your damaged hands an opponent would be more than happy to pick a fight with you, as half his battle has been won for him. If you MUST damage yourself and yet fight, then I suggest that you use a hammer, that is, hit not yourself but your opponent with a hammer, as you will be already too crippled to fight by using just your natural weapons.