Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 decade ago

Is it OK to take cough syrup with bronchitis? Coughing so hard that I almost throw up ? ?

it has Dextromethorphan HBr and Guaifenesin

I don't want to have fluid fill my lungs/develop pneumonia/etc. how can you tell if that's at a dangerous point btw?

I took some cough syrup about an 20 minutes ago I've had the bronchitis for almost a week. it's 3 am and i haven't slept at all cause I'm coughing so much. it's been like this the past couple of nights and I'm worried that lack of sleep is making me more sick?

tbh I am kind of scared to fall asleep when I'm coughing this bad

yes I've seen a doctor..I'm on erythromycin (i also have a sinus infection @_@)

Favorite Answer

Hard to say....syrup...no syrup. It may only make you hold on to mucus that needs to come out. But it may give you that bit of rest your body needs.

Bronchitis is swelling of your upper airways. It could be from the drainage from your sinus infection and the coughing. If you can try to take care of some of the drainage from your sinuses...you might have less mucus heading down toward your lungs.

I agree...Keep the clear fluids coming...clear meaning WATER, juice. No dairy. Hot steam showers...you don't even have to be in the shower...grab a book and chill on the floor with a steam shower running. (I slept on couch cushions on the floor as a sick kid)

Are you sleeping upright? You might have to for a while. From personal experience, My dad put 2 rolled up sleeping bags under the head of my matress...to get me proped up some.

For your sinuses...something called a Netty Pot may help. http://www.ehow.com/how_2167016_use-netty-pot.html

Humidifier....keep the air moist around you...that way the secretions stay a little more moist and they are easier to cough out.

As far as the possibility of pneumonia...make sure you are taking deep breaths. Pneumonia will happen when small areas of your lungs, called alveolis, close off and infection will start growing. So keep excersising those lungs. I would not worry about your lungs filling up with fluid...most of the time it is heart problems that cause that.

Keep that mucus moving...there are medications...like Mucinex that will help thin secretions.

I didn't give you a definite answer...but talk to your doctor...it is going to take a bit for the antibiotic to work, but he may have more ideas to control the coughing.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist for 6 years

I'm not a doctor, but I think it would be better for you to take something that has Guaifenesin but without the Dextromethorphan. I can tell you from personal experience that if you have bronchitis you probably don't want to take something that suppresses your cough while you sleep. When you wake up the next morning you may regret it. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. It may stop you from coughing and allow you to sleep a little but it will do nothing to help your lungs and you may wake up trying to cough up everything that was building up while you slept.

The Guaifenesin is good because it's an expectorant which works by drawing water into the bronchi which thins out the mucus and makes it easier to cough the crap out of your lungs. Be sure to drink lots of fluids to make the Guaifenesin more effective.

In my case, I've had bronchitis the last 4 or 5 days and I borrowed some time-release 12-hour tablets which has a nasal decongestant (psuedoephedrine) and the Guaifenesin. In the last day and a half since I've taken it, I don't feel like I'm going to cough up all my internal organs and I just generally feel better.

If you're really worried about your condition and you aren't getting any sleep you should go back to your doctor or call and let him/her know what's up. Anyway, hope you get to feeling better. Let us know how you're doing.

Source(s): Various websites and books. I've had bronchitis many times and pneumonia a couple of times.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I took some cough syrup about an 20 minutes ago I've had the bronchitis for almost a week. it's 3 am and i haven't slept at all...

Source(s): cough syrup bronchitis coughing hard throw up: https://biturl.im/aGGeN
  • maza

Best Cough Syrup For Bronchitis

2

Source(s): Remedy For Eliminating Asthma : http://AsthmaRelief.iukiy.com/?ifXp

Have you seen a Doctor? That would be a good idea. I picked up a link that may help you out. But here is what it says for treatments for Bronchitis at home:

Can I Treat Bronchitis at Home?

If you have bronchitis you should do the following:

* Drink fluids every one to two hours unless your doctor has restricted your fluid intake

* Rest

* Don't smoke

* Relieve body aches by taking aspirin or acetaminophen. (If you are taking any other drugs, talk to your doctor to make sure aspirin or acetaminophen doesn't interfere with them. Children should NOT take aspirin.)

* Follow your doctor's instructions on ways to help clear your mucus.

* If you are coughing up mucus, note how often you cough as well as the color and amount of the mucus. Report this to your doctor.

If you have a dry cough and cough up little to no mucus, your doctor may prescribe a cough medicine to suppress your cough. He or she may also prescribe an expectorant to help loosen mucus so it can be more easily coughed up.

Because most episodes of bronchitis are caused by viruses, antibiotics will not be useful or necessary. Exceptions would be bronchitis caused by a bacterial infection or bronchitis in a person who has impaired lung function.

I once suffered from Chronic Bronchitis. I would suffer sometimes 3 to 4 times per year! Usually when there was a major change in the pressure outside (I live in the north, and the temperature spikes and dips do wonders to chronic sufferers of bronchitis!). Each time I would get horrible hacking coughs, hoarking up green phlegm..it was so frustrating!

The key to getting rid of your bronchitis is to find a way to completely eliminate the germs that are causing all the phlegm and irritation leading to your hoarking cough and heavy breathing. Keep reading to learn how to do kill these germs!!

This page it will change your life and make you feel 100% better within just 24 hours!

Acute Bronchitis

When To Call a Doctor

Call 911 or other emergency services immediately if:

* You have chest pain that is crushing or squeezing, is increasing in intensity, or occurs with any other symptoms of a heart attack.

* You have severe difficulty breathing.

* You are coughing up large amounts of blood (more than streaks of blood or blood mixed with mucus).

Call your health professional today if you:

* Feel short of breath, even when at rest.

* Notice new or increasing whistling sounds when breathing (wheezing) or difficulty breathing, even at rest.

* Have a cough that frequently produces yellow or green sputum from the lungs (not postnasal drainage), lasts longer than 2 days, and occurs along with a fever of 101 F or higher.

* Are coughing up small streaks of blood.

* Develop symptoms of acute bronchitis and you have a chronic lung disease such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Call your health professional in 1 to 2 days if you:

* Notice increased shortness of breath after any physical activity.

* Have a cough that causes you to vomit frequently.

* Have a cough that has lasted longer than 4 weeks.

* Are being treated for acute bronchitis and your symptoms have not improved after 14 days of treatment.

Most cases of acute bronchitis go away in 2 to 3 weeks, but some may last more than 4 weeks. Home treatment to relieve symptoms is usually all that is necessary. This includes:

* Relieving your cough by drinking fluids, using cough drops, and avoiding lung irritants. You may also use nonprescription cough suppressants, which may help you to stop coughing, and expectorants, which may make coughing easier so you can bring up mucus. Research on cough suppressants and expectorants does not show that they stop a cough, but some people might find them helpful. Do not give cough and cold medicines to a child younger than 2 unless your child’s doctor has told you to. If your child’s doctor tells you to give a medicine, be sure to follow what he or she tells you to do.

* Avoiding caffeine and alcohol, which cause you to lose extra fluid from your body and may lead to dehydration.

* Stopping smoking, if you smoke.

* Getting enough rest so your body has the energy needed to fight the infection. Generally, you feel better sooner if you rest more than usual while you have acute bronchitis.

* Using nonprescription medication, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin, to relieve fever and body aches. Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than age 20.

* Breathing moist air from a humidifier, hot shower, or sink filled with hot water. The heat and moisture can help keep mucus in your airways moist so it can be coughed out easily.

I also have asthma. Sometimes it gets a dry throat, depending on the weather. You have to slowly suck on cough drops like "hacks" that will keep your throat lubricated. Do you have a nebulizer that you can take treatment through every four hours ? this will help greatly. Talk to your doctor.

Trusted Online Market : http://store3.out2.pw/l2tle