Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

parent trying to keep me at home (separation stages)?

i plan on leaving when I'm 18 my dad continually uses guilt to try to talk me into staying. since then I've learned to turn off my conscience and just act like i care. when I'm 18 i plan to do this. and judging from his personality i figured the next step in trying to get me to stay is anger and physical violence. Since i have reasoned this I have been body building to prepare to defend myself. I was wondering what the next stage of trying to get me to stay.

please don't tell me "he has taken care of me so i should take care of him." he only fed and clothed me because it is law. just please answer what the next step is

• Liz
    Favorite Answer

Don't anticipate a physical confrontation.

Work up to his trust, agree with his ideas are great, get along, tell him you think he has some good ideas and how you appreciate his wanting you to stay, and then the night before you turn 18..... go out with friends and don't come back.

Or that morning, leave for work or school. Have a plan in place for a place to go when you leave that day, have a job, have an apartment, or stay with a friend while you are working that out.

HAVE A PLAN. Don't fight your dad. Adults don't do that. You are 18 you don't have to fear, you don't have to come home, you don't have to fight anymore... BUT have a workable plan, anticipate that instead of the fight.

The next step could be following you ):

That's really horrible. But if you promise to write or something maybe he'll be more comforted? I don't know, but the body building sounds like a good and bad thing, good= defending yourself, bad= someone getting REALLY hurt.

I hope it works out (:

• Bill

Planning. You are making preparations.

Get a tablet of paper and plan out your departure thoroughly. Take your time and try to think of everything you need to. Hide it well!

And get this book; it will help:

http://www.amazon.com/Unleash-Warrior-Within-Disci...

Consider it life-planning and going for it, written by an ex-Navy SEAL. It's great.

well I wouldn't discuss with him. You don't have leave smack on your 18th birthday. You get your place then you move in and then tell him.