Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

What are the best Anti-Spyware programs that you can install on your computer?

I had Ad-ware 6.0, Spybot Search & Destroy (with Tea Timer), HiJack This!, and DiamondCS Wormguard.

However, recently my computer go infected with a 01-Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com, which was causing my IE to open really slow (for folders). I used Hijack This! and noticed the above string that looked suspicious. I did some research on the internet, and found it's a devious malware that hijacks your browser. I used Hijack This! to delete this malware and now my computer runs quickly again when opening folders. :)

However, this incident opened my eyes to the fact that my anti-spyware programs are perhaps not adequate. Ad-aware 6.0 is okay, but outdated. Spybot is good. DiamondCS wormguard is crap and doesn't do anything it seems. And Hijack This! is awesome.

I'm in the process of downloading and trying new anti-spyware programs to keep my computer safe. So far, I've downloaded Spyware Blaster which is good and I'll keep. I tried Spyware Guard which offers real-time protection, but it's update files are outdated (2004), so I won't be using it. I've also downloaded Spyware Terminator (which found 1 malware), but I don't like it because it uses too much resources so I'll probably delete it. I just downloaded and used Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, and it's good and I'll keep it. I'm about to try 2 more programs - Spyware Doctor and Counter Spy.

Do any of yous have any opinions on Spyware Doctor and/or Counter Spy? Spyware Doctor will probably be good because it's from the same people that made Registry Mechanic (PC Tools). Also, most of the programs are to scan and detect and erase spyware, or to prevent infection in the first place. But, do you know of any program that offers real-time protection that does NOT use a lot of resources? Spybot's tea timer is okay, but seems limited. I used Spyware Terminators real-time guard but it slowed my computer way down and so I won't be using that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry this is so long - thanks in advance. =)

BTW, I also tried Ad-aware 2008 but wasn't that impressed so I deleted it.

FYI, my anti-virus program is Kaspersky which I'm very satisfied with.

Lastly, I'll probably keep Ad-aware 6.0, Spybot, and definitely Hijack This!. I'm might delete DiamondCS wormguard because it doesn't really do anything.

Thanks Samuel Adams - I am using FireFox which is way better than IE in functionality and security. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

No single anti-spyware application is perfect so I recommend using at least 2 different programs. Spybot Search & Destroy is one of the best. I also recommend SUPERAntiSpyware. Other free anti-spyware programs would be Adaware, AVG Anti-spyware (formally Ewido), A-squared, Spyware Terminator and SpywareBlaster.

I strongly recommend using FireFox, it's a far better and safer alternative to Internet Explorer. If you add-on McAfee SiteAdvisor, it will warn you of potentially harmful sites. I also recommend CCleaner which is a free system optimization and privacy tool.

Glad to hear your using Kaspersky anti-virus. Kaspersky and NOD32 are the best anti-virus programs available. I use NOD32 because it's lighter on my system than Kaspersky. Either of these programs are highly recommended. Recent tests prove Kaspersky and NOD32 are better than the best sellers Norton and McAfee.

Having multiple antivirus program can often create instability in the operating system, and also causes slowness. Get rid of AVG and Norton 360 and just get avast free. Having multiple spyware / adware removers is not damaging, in fact, it is recommended by many tech guru's

As the person above said, SUPER antispyware is good. Also, perhaps the very best of the best anti-spyware program is malware anti-bytes. One of the fastest scanners I use and it detects more than any other program I know AND it's completely free.

I use a combination of Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware with Webroot Spy Sweeper. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I haven't been nearly as satisfied with other programs as I have with these. Whatever you do, don't go with Norton. I've had nothing but trouble from them.