Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

Give me your best poker advice?

I have been playing for a while and I think I am good. I just can't seem to make money at it. Can the people who do make good money at it give me their best advice please, much appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I've been playing poker for secondary income for three years now. The money is a roller coaster no matter how good you are. The best advice I can give is to read every book you can get your hands on. Read Super System 1&2, Mike Caro, TJ Cloutier, Dan Harrington, and David Sklansky.

Play within your means, which generally means 1 2 blinds. If you prefer to play tight you should really try the tournament circuit. Online poker is a joke for the most part and I do not trust it at all. Play tight and only bluff to take down a target. Size up opponents and try to go for the ones you consider weak. Unfortunately the only real way to learn is through a whole bunch of mistakes and lost money, that was the best way i learned!

Patience. Don't show any emotion at all almost as if your bored, regardless of how good or bad your hand is.

Don't stay in with crap cards, bluffing for the most part does not work unless you have enough chips to scare a low chip holder. If someone thinks they have a winning hand and they have a decent amount of chips in front of them they will stay until the river usually.

Know what pocket hands are the best. AA KK QQ JJ 10/10. Anytime your dealt that you want to try and stay in for the flop.

Know when to fold minimize losses and maximize wins. You will lose some hands it is just part of poker but keeping the amount you lose low is what you need to focus on. Patience tho is the biggest. When you see poker on TV you see all these action packed hands. They only show those hands they don't show the 20 crappy hands the table had (Otherwise we'd get bored) but they do have tons of crappy hands where nothing happens also.

Good Luck

Go to fulltiltpoker and other poker sites and forums, read everything you can and put it into play. Work on calculating pot odds, playing your hand, then playing the board, and eventually playing your opponent. If you are losing money there is a weak spot in your game. Keep it tight and aggressive, keep playing, and be observant and eventually you should see an improvement. I don't play much anymore, but I was able to turn a 5 dollar freeroll win into 250 dollars profit off of mostly 1 and 2 dollar buy ins so I think I am sort of in the know.

Source(s):

There are no secrets I'm sorry to say. Master the fundamentals by studying the proven masters, keep honest records, and practice, practice practice. If you do those things it is only a matter of time before you start to profit from your hard work, provided you are playing within in your means and using a conservative bank roll management system.

Good Luck!

Source(s): You can learn more about playing poker for a living at http://www.ModernGrinder.com

Who thinks they are bad at poker? I think I'm good too, but ever go to the casino to play? it will piss you off man. stupid people with waaay more money than you sitting at the table not givin a **** bout their money, you'll play tight and when you get something good he will suck out for a runner runner straight....after a pre flop raise and an all-in after the flop..... ****** had garbage but still calls.

Learn to card count and play blackjack. good money! except those automatic shufflers....

First off; are you looking to make this a career? Don't do it. There are many more people that play cards for fun than those who can actually make a profession out of it. Those are few.

Perhaps your tell is blatant enough for people to pick up on.

I hear the secret to a good poker face is to clinch your jaw the whole time you are playing.

READ, you must approach poker as a professional and study. If you are not prepared to read and improve yourself, you will never step up from being a losing player to a winner.

Start with: http://www.church-of-texas-holdem.com/cashout-from...

Be very shy to bet, then after a couple of rounds you should go all in, and people with believe you so they fold. Make sure they bet a bit before you go all in, or there is no point.

P l

P

^

|

|

Poker eyes

(tile your head to the left)