Should a minor open a savings account?

I'd like to give my grandson $100 for his birthday and help him open his own savings account at the bank. I was going to make it a joint account so he could make deposits or withdrawals whenever he wanted to do so. I would be giving the bank my ID information as well as his in order to open the account. The bank... show more I'd like to give my grandson $100 for his birthday and help him open his own savings account at the bank. I was going to make it a joint account so he could make deposits or withdrawals whenever he wanted to do so. I would be giving the bank my ID information as well as his in order to open the account. The bank official recommended opening an account where I was the only one who could withdraw money. Reason given was "so he can't just drive over to the bank when he is 16 years old and get all of the money out." So far as I am concerned the money is a gift and he is welcome to take it out and spend it as he pleases. I had thought he needed to learn about banks instead of keeping his money in jar hidden in the closet.

My son and daughter-in-law have given their blessing on him opening a savings account, with my help. They just didn't want to make a trip to the bank with him and do all the paperwork.

Have you done something similar with a grandchild? Any advice?