Greta
Greta asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Do you think it's more difficult for MLB teams...?

...To win on the road compared to, say, the NFL & NBA?

I know that obviously it's harder for a team in any sport to win on the road, but would you say that in MLB, it's the most difficult?

Favorite Answer

I would say the outfield dimensions have to be a factor. In basketball and football, the fields/ courts are all the same dimensions, with no nooks and crannies. In football and basketball, there is no equivalent to the Green Monster or the hill with a flagpole in center field like the Astros have at Minute Maid Park. The home team plays 81 games a season at their home park, while the visiting team may only play there 3 games in an entire season, so they are certainly more accustomed to the park's idiosyncrasies. Even the height of the infield grass can affect the game. Plus, in baseball, they often play an entire road trip without a day off, sometimes 12 games in a row in 4 different cities. That is something that never happens in other sports. In football, they play once a week; in basketball, an average of 3 times per week. The duration of the game can also be a factor; football games are 60 minutes long, basketball games are 48 minutes long, while baseball games last about 3 hours.

Atmospherically, I would say that it is usually easier for MLB teams than NFL or NBA teams. With NBA games held in domed arenas, the crowd echos and the roars seem loader in the confined space.

However, aside from crowd conditions, I do think that the MLB games offer more of a definite advantage to home teams because they can bat in the bottom of the innings. If it comes down the the ninth inning, the home teams knows exactly what it will take to win the game - where the away team can't be so sure.

• Rudy

In general it's hard to win on the road in any sport. Baseball is probably the most easiest of all the sports to win on the road due to the fact they play multiple games in the same location consecutively. In all the other sports it's one and done.

This year seems to be somewhat of an off year for the MLB road teams. Most every team with the exception of the Angels have losing road records.

I think that the NBA is the most difficult. Many times you will see a team win by double digits and then lose by double digits in a home and home series.

In my betting days, I considered a home team advantage to be three points in the NFL and seven in the NCAA. I'll stick with those numbers since they brought me a moderate degree of success.

In MLB, often teams have a similar road and home record, though that number can be skewed by having a unique home field like Fenway.

All in all, I would rank the three leagues as I did above, but MLB more than the others has to be judged on an individual basis.

• Oz

I would say its no more or no less difficult for any professional sports team to win on the road but in the NFL its probably much more important than in any other sport because of the number of games played in the NFL.

• Mr.B

I think the difficulty of winning on the road would go as follows:

NBA

NFL

MLB

There's is no sense to it, but statistically, home court is a huge advantage in the NBA. Maybe it's the 3-games-in-4-nights road trips NBA teams always have to go on.

NFL I think you face such a hostile environment on the road. I like football, but a lot of NFL fans are total morons who simply have no idea how to behave like decent human beings. Sad for them, but it does help the home team.

In MLB I think it depends on the team and the stadium. It is most obvious for teams with quirky stadiums where you build a team to win in a certain environment, versus teams that play in relatively symmetrical ball parks. You can see this if you compare home and road records for Boston (quirky park) and the Angels (symmetrical)

Red Sox: 55-23 at home, 39-42 on the road

Angels: 49-29 at home, 50-31 on the road

Boston has a much better winning percentage at home, while the Angels' record is almost identical at home or on the road.

I think that it is a little more difficult to do because every field is different in it's own way. The NBA, NHL and NFL have subtle differences in the surface but whole sale differences in the confines of the playing area. In MLB you may play in a hitters park one day and then go to a place like Commerica where you need to charter a flight to get the ball out of the park the next day. THe fields are so different in MLB. The only equaling factor would be that players move around so much that maybe they are adjusted to the differences from having played in different Cities for a full season in previous years.

It's harder in the nfl because of all the other sports nfl is the only place where the weather can affect the game (see lambeau field, soldier field, etc)

In baseball everything is even other than the dimension of the ball parks. So if you are a right handed slugger you might prefer fenway park to shea stadium. If you are lefty, you want the old yankee stadium. And you pitch you might never want to leave where the padres play (forgot that stadiums name.)

In basketball the only thing you deal with is noise, but a true pro can block that out.

I think it is as easy as the NBA because you visit teams multiple times unlike the NFL.But the only difference is,like someone once said,home court advantage is significant.With the NFL,the road trips are harder with the atmosphere the visiting teams play in.

• Ben

I think it is difficult but i don't think its more difficult then the NBA or NFL

In the past it did not matter that much on baseball i mean it was difficult but not as much as it is right now because now the teams have a lot of rockies and teams are trying their talent from the minor leagues sooner then how they did before and for some reason a lot of them dont play as good away as they do at home

on my opinion home field advantage is more important in baseball this season but if your talking about overall i think on the NBA is harder to win on the road