Who Wrote "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."?

I found the author of "Don’t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".Greg King

Thank you Chances68! I appreciate the correction on the wording and the author. This "sounds" exactly like Mark Twain. I checked the internet, also!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Favorite Answer

The quote is actually "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." It's most often attributed to Mark Twain, and I think it sounds like him, as well.

• seldon

Dont Argue With An Idiot

I believe that this saying is attributed to Mark Twain. However, the variation: "Never argue with an idiot in public. Onlookers may not know which is which" (apologies if I have mis-quoted) I recall reading many years ago in a novel by Robert Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers, etc.). He also - I believe - coined the phrase: "Avoid attributing to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity"; definitely a great rule to live by.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avSiz

I can't stand the taste of liver so am not gonna worry about it. I did hear a woman on a talk show several years ago say that her drunk husband drank up their grocery money and one night brought home with of his drunk friends from the bowling alley, and wanted her to cook them something to eat. She had a pound of hamburger in the ice box and that was all the meat they had to feed the familyuntil payday a week later, she also had a package of Gainsburgers for dogs (I remember the same time getting a free pack of those with a coupon, they were something new) and she mixed an egg and some chopped onion and seasoning salt and made them into patties and fried them up. They all thought they were great and a couple of them ate 2 a piece.

RE:

Source(s): wrote don argue idiot people watching difference: https://trimurl.im/h61/who-wrote-don-t-argue-with-...

Proverbs 26:4 "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him." At least, it seems, Clemen s and King s mothers had bibles for them to read...

• Jill

I don't know who wrote it but its a DARN good saying. I really like it. Do you want to keep it or can I have it. I think we should make it the seniors category motto.

We should emblazon it across our answers or underneath our avatars, or some such thing.

Good One my girl. Keep it up we eagerly await your next offering. LOL

• CurlyQ

Sounds like Mark Twain to me.

• dora

I'll remember that the next time my neighbor gets in another screaming fit with someone over her yard, or leaves in her yard or whatever her problem is that day.

This saying has been in circulation for too long to be able to attribute it to any single source.