Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

I'm seeing ads on webpages?

I'm seeing advertisements on webpages that don't even have a script in the source.

It looks almost like a Windows Live Messenger alert box (sign in, new message, etc). http://i35.tinypic.com/akbpd1.png

I think I've heard of something like this before, and the cause was some virus that was implementing ads on pages you browse? Is that true?

I don't look at porn. I'm seeing these ads on pages like google.com and smashing magazine.

Favorite Answer

It could be ads on the sites, but most likely it is spyware or adware. If you have a program that removes spyware run a scan. There are some free ones available if you do not have one such as Spybot or Advanced WindowsCare. But be careful of some "free scans" on the internet; some of them will actually install viruses or spyware on your computer. Go to a reputable site such as the one mentioned in one of the previous answers.

There's a chance you may have adware installed on your computer, especially if you have installed any new software around the same time as you noticed this problem.

Try running a anti-virus and anti-spyware program, also you may wish to double check by using an online scanner too just to be on the safe side.

I do this myself once a week just to make sure that my anti-virus and anti-spyware programs haven't missed anything.

There is a list of online virus scanners at http://www.safe-sites-2-click-on.com/index.php?opt...

It could be a virus. Use a safe browser like Firefox or Opera and use a reputable antivirus such as AVG, Avast!, or my favorite, Avira AntiVir.

I get those too when i look at porn sometimes. I honestly think its just part of the web page and not virus related. But that's just my opinion.

Source(s): Porn