Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Where Can I Take Animal Classes/Lessons?

Dear Yahoo! Answers Members,

Hello, my name is Mackenzie and I have a strong passion for animals. I am also ten years old and am fighting for minors to volunteer at animal shelters across the tri-state. I was thinking about becoming a Zoologist, Wildlife Rehabilitator, Vet, or Breeder.

I am currently volunteering at the Animal Friends Humane Society in Trenton, Ohio. And am also currently working with several kinds of animals. I have been learning about the animals at A.F.H.S.

Also, I was wondering where I could take lessons or classes on animals? The shelter doesn't teach you a lot, but it helps you understand the animal better. Is there anywhere near the Middletown area of Ohio that I could take lessons or classes? Or I could take an online course, or maybe go to a camp?

I like all animals, and helping them. If you could give me a website, phone number, or any other information, it will be oh so much greatly appreciated! Thanks to all the people who answer! My e-mail address is MackenzieRussell@yahoo.com if you have any other questions you need to ask.

MackenzieRussell,

Favorite Answer

Hey, just once again I'm reminding you not to post your last name online. Not safe.

One comment before I answer, being a breeder generally brings in little to no profit, so it's not really a career. (One of my contacts, whom is a dog breeder, said she made a profit once. 17 cents an hour).

Anyway, my science teacher last year told me that some colleges offer a summer camp with different programs. I'm not sure if you're old enough yet but you should look into it. Google local colleges, pick up a brochure and see if they have biology programs available (I know of a college a few towns away from me that actually has a veterinary medicine class available for teens!)

Good luck! Oh and you don't need to be so formal, we're all good friends here. :)

Hi Mackenzie,

Congratulations on finding a shelter that lets minors do some volunteering. Most won't, not because of discrimination but because of insurance and liability.

I would look into basic obedience classes if you already have a dog, just to get some hands-on experience with animal behavior. If you don't have a dog, you should still be able to go and watch other folks in classes and take note. Also, look into your local AKC clubs for information on Junior Handler classes-these are valuable for folks wanting to learn more about showing and basic dog handling and grooming. These would be a good start for now, and you can expand more as you get older. Good luck!