Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

Question about External Harddrives!?

hey there, i have a question about external harddrives. Im gunna get one. First of all are all harddrives plug n play? Second, are they compatible with other things like my ipod, or maybe my ps3? Help!!!!!!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not compatible with other devices due to the formatting of the drive. And yes, most of them are plug n play because they have built in drivers on a flash chip. If not, you can always just install the drivers manually, but usually Vista (or XP) will just pick up on the drivers located in the flash chip.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Most present day external hard drives are plug-and-play. You can NOT plug it in you ipod and sync it. However, if you have songs on the external, and try to put them onto the ipod through a computer, it will work.

You can make your hard drive work on a ps3 if you format it to FAT32

In terms of hard drives, I would recommend western digital or maxtor.

Good Luck!

• 1 decade ago

An external hard drive is just like a regular hard drive its just outside the pc you can do everything you do with an internal hard drive. No all hard drives aren't plug and play for some you have to format an operating system. And it is not compatible with other stuff its meant for pc's and saving stuff in them.

Source(s): Teen Pc Nerd. (: lol
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nearly all extenal hds r usb devices so its dust like a really big mem stick nd yeah der compatible wit ps3 bt as 4 ipod hw wud u connect dem 2geter u cn save music on it bt dats bout all it cn do 4 da ipod.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

sure it really is. once you're on domicile windows, seem for a application referred to as fdisk. this may erase the walls and allow you to create new ones. this can make confident that each and every thing is wisely and really wiped. Be very careful which rigidity you tell it to erase in spite of the truth that.

• 1 decade ago

well if your looking for a portable drive the answer is yes. most connect with mini usb,or fire wire. It will act and store the same file as a normal drive would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.