Why do the conservatives focus on Freddie and Fannie and not the sub-prime melt down in general.?

It seems to me that Fannie and Freddie failed as a result of the sub-prime catastrophe, but they were not the primary cause which was wall street and the mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps.
Update: ****** Sorry, to disappoint, but in 2005 and 2006 Senate Bank finance chairman: Richard Shelby (R) House subcommitte on Financial Institutions: Spencer Bachus (R) In 2007, the House passed the bill on regulating Fannie and Freddie (Thank you Barnie Frank and Nancy Pelosi). It never got out of... show more ******
Sorry, to disappoint, but in 2005 and 2006

Senate Bank finance chairman: Richard Shelby (R)
House subcommitte on Financial Institutions: Spencer Bachus (R)

In 2007, the House passed the bill on regulating Fannie and Freddie (Thank you Barnie Frank and Nancy Pelosi).

It never got out of committee in the Senate. (Thank you Sen. Dodd)
Update 2: ********* Don't mean to be rude, but no one is answer the question. We would still have this mess with or without Fannie and Freddie. While Fannie and Freddie might have withstood the catastrophe if they had been better capatilized, they are a casualty, not the cause. I agree with McCain that Fannie and... show more *********
Don't mean to be rude, but no one is answer the question.

We would still have this mess with or without Fannie and Freddie. While Fannie and Freddie might have withstood the catastrophe if they had been better capatilized, they are a casualty, not the cause.

I agree with McCain that Fannie and Freddie should have been better capitalized. Pretty stupid for a quasi-goverment corp not having the reserves. They should be managed conservatively.

But folks, you gotta follow the money.
Update 3: ********
Thank you all, even those who focused on FM/FM and not the question--I guess you are true conservatives!!