Is it safe to turn the playstation 3 off completly instead of having it in standby mode all the time?

I have been flipping the switch, after the red light comes on. And Sony does say here on there site, that no harm will come to the system, I just want some other input on it.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio...

Don't worry, it's always in standby mode (red light0 when I flip the switch.

• kozzm0
    Favorite Answer

Yes, of course it is safe. The only time a ps3 is truly safe from power surges is when it is turned off. Actually it's not totally safe unless it's unplugged, a big thunderstorm could come along, lighting could make a surge in your power lines and fry everything that's plugged in.

You must never turn the switch off until the red light is on but you already know that.

The advantage to leaving computer equipment on is that it eliminates the activation surge. This is a slight power surge that always hits electric equipment, surge protector or not, when it's first turned on. When you first apply the voltage, the current always fluctuates above and below the average amperage at first. It's why light bulbs usually burn out when you flip the switch on.

The ps3 and most computers limit this effect with the standby mode. When you first flip the switch on, it doesn't activate the ps3, it only applies the power to the ps3's AC-to-DC power converter (power "supply") because it goes to standby mode first. Only a few things draw power from the "supply" when it's in standby mode, within a short time the fluctuations in the AC current stabilize so that there is much less danger from turning the ps3 on after it's been in standby mode for a bit. So for ps3's and pc's, it is nowadays generally better to turn them off. Before there were standby modes, the conventional wisdom was to leave them on though, to avoid activation surges.

The power surges are no joke. When you shut down the ps3 or pc, you should always let them sit for a few seconds before reactivating them. Flipping a switch on and off again too fast has killed many an electronic device.

I've read that it can do some harm to your system by just flipping the switch. Instead of flipping the switch just press the PS button, then go to your accounts, and at the top it will say turn of system. This will make it go into standby mode. Why don't you want it to go into standby mode? It's a low power mode and the only thing on is that little red light.

Source(s): Good luck and hope to see you on PSN!

Turning the PS3 off entirely is actually a good idea since in standby mode the PS3 uses about 1watt/hr. It's not a lot of power, but over the course of a year, it adds up to about 9kilowatts. If you're going to use the PS3 again shortly, you can leave it in standby but I usually turn mine off.

Just about everything in my entertainment center has standby mode, and sucks down a tiny amount of power. Problem is, over the course of a year, that starts to add up. With my current power bill, I estimate about $20/year is from standby power.

That's fine, just make sure the PS3 is in standby before you hit the switch on the back. Personally, I use mine all the time and it's just easier for me to leave it in standby.

Well as long as you wait for the red standbt light to come on it is 100% safe, turning it without waiting can cause issues with you Hard Drive and your System Software

Source(s): PSN ID: PSN_HELPER

Yeah, as long as it is on stand-by it is safe to flip the switch at the back. Like the second answerer, I just leave mine on stand-by.

Its fine, thats what I do