Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Nikon D80 for ( Body Only ) for $569 OR Canon XSi with cheap lens for $640 ???

Nikon D80 for ( Body Only ) for $569 OR Canon XSi with cheap lens for $640 ??????

Whats the better deal??

I'd like to take nice portraits and great landscape pictures of nature.

• Jimmy
    Favorite Answer

The better deal would be the Canon with lens. It may be a kit lens, it's still quality. Those 'cheap' kit lenses can sell for quite a bit money on their own. Those kit lenses are also quality made, just like the other lenses. The Nikon D80 may be more advanced, the Canon would be a great camera to start with, offering professional grade quality. It won't be the same as a full frame sensor, neither would the D80.

I should preface this by saying I have sold cameras for a long time, I personally have several canon and nikon cameras That being said, I would go with the D80 hands down! four main reasons why 1. for the entry level DSLR's the Nikon perform very well when compared to entry level canons. at the higher end camera the differences are small 2. The entry level DSLR's from cannon just feel cheap 3. Nikon has a wheel from aperture and a wheel for shutter speed, this is a huge advantage and make it easier and faster 4. Canon has historically changed their lens mount every 10-15 years. What does that mean? if you buy a new camera body, oops! you can't use ANY of your old lenses. They do this to make more money by forcing you to rebuy lenses. I can't get behind a company that does that unless someone else is footing the bill.

• Ara57

I have the D80, great camera, Better build and features than the Rebel. You know you will have to get a lens to use the D80. The D80's kit lens is better than the Canon's, either the 18-55 or the 18-135 are usually sold as the kit lens for the D80, sometimes the 18-200vr. Be sure to check www.resellerratings.com before making your purchase from an online dealer. But $569 is probably legit. B&H's price is $599 body only.

I should preface this by saying I have sold cameras for a long time, I personally have several canon and nikon cameras

That being said, I would go with the D80 hands down! four main reasons why

1. for the entry level DSLR's the Nikon perform very well when compared to entry level canons. at the higher end camera the differences are small

2. The entry level DSLR's from cannon just feel cheap

3. Nikon has a wheel from aperture and a wheel for shutter speed, this is a huge advantage and make it easier and faster

4. Canon has historically changed their lens mount every 10-15 years. What does that mean? if you buy a new camera body, oops! you can't use ANY of your old lenses. They do this to make more money by forcing you to rebuy lenses. I can't get behind a company that does that unless someone else is footing the bill.

That was my same dilemma. I couldn't decide for a long time. I finally bought a D80. I love, love, love it. You'll be really happy with it. The XSi doesn't even come close

You are getting ripped on that Nikon. Try Sonic Cameras, http://soniccameras.com/catalog/. They have a D80, with two Nikkor lenses (18-50 & 55-200) for less than $500.

Source(s): Sonic Cameras http://soniccameras.com/catalog/