My daughter and I are trying to grow a pumpkin, we're only getting flowers? How do we get a pumpkin.?

we started it in a pot, we planted it in the garden in June. We're only getting large orange flowers but nothing that resembles a pumpkin. What are we doing wrong? We live in NY

• Anita
    Favorite Answer

You might yet get a pumpkin, if you can keep the plant from freezing. There are two kinds of flowers on a pumpkin plant, male and female. The male flowers are on a slender stem. The female flowers are on a bulbous stem, which, if pollinated, will develop into a ripe pumpkin. Watch the flowers with the bulbous stem daily, and when the flower opens, pick one of the open male flowers and fertilize it. The flowers only open one time, so you must be vigilant. If there are bees present, it is not necessary to do this. Keep watering and wait. Pumpkins can tolerate fairly cold weather, but will die if they freeze, so just provide some protection for it and you'll be good to go.

• poobah

First, its too late to get pumpkins in NY if you don't already have well developed fruit by now. You should have started the seeds in a hill outside as early as possible in the spring. They need lots of compost and water. Also, some of the flowers are male and the others are, of course, female. Only the females will bear fruit. All you can do now is make tempura pumpkin flowers. Look for a recipe on line.

I was told there is male and female pumpkin plants. One grows the pumpkin while the other is used more for pollination. I am not a pumpkin expert. But there may be something to his answer?

• I would think its going to take longer then 2 months to grow a pumpkin!

the flowers turn in to pumpkins but they need to be pollinate i can't remember the difference between male and female flowers but you can use a small paint brush to pollinate them.

Patience, the pumpkin will come.